Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Another transfer case explosion/fire

Old 04-02-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by dozerjk
I have the Tom woods double double cardan drive shaft in the front of my jk. It seems to be doing fine, also not sloppy at all, when both ends are bolted up u can not even move the driveshaft at all.
Good to know.
I searched the Tom Woods site, and came up with this:
www.tomwoodscustomdriveshafts.com/multiCV.html
edit to add:

This seems so logical, I wonder why more people aren't running these on the front.

Last edited by Moochie; 04-02-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Please, no clickable links to non sponsors
Old 04-02-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep that's her mine just a little bigger though I'm running it on a 6 in procomp long arm
Old 04-02-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx

The adjustable control arms will make a difference only if you are willing to give up a lot of caster.

Your mostly stock components are reducing your chances of this happening.
Curious here again.... I have the teraflex 3" lift with 4 new control arms..... I have the 4dr JK ..... THEY NEVER Adjusted my caster...... They left it at stock.... Does this factor make it worse or better for me?? Thx again
Old 04-02-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Curious here again.... I have the teraflex 3" lift with 4 new control arms..... I have the 4dr JK ..... THEY NEVER Adjusted my caster...... They left it at stock.... Does this factor make it worse or better for me?? Thx again
What do you have for a front drive shaft?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie

Good to know.
I searched the Tom Woods site, and came up with this:
www.tomwoodscustomdriveshafts.com/multiCV.html
edit to add:

This seems so logical, I wonder why more people aren't running these on the front.
So... if I am reading this right... you are saying that these would be an ideal choice of drive shafts to reduce the likelihood of t-case explosions?

If that is the case, do you (or anyone else) care to explain in simple terms why a multi-CV driveshaft is better... I am still trying to wrap my head around all this.

Last edited by Moochie; 04-02-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Edited clickable link
Old 04-02-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by u-joint
So... if I am reading this right... you are saying that these would be an ideal choice of drive shafts to reduce the likelihood of t-case explosions?

If that is the case, do you (or anyone else) care to explain in simple terms why a multi-CV driveshaft is better... I am still trying to wrap my head around all this.
A single u-joint, if not straight, will accelerate and decelerate twice in each revolution, made worse the greater the angle.
That will make the massive double cardan on the other end vibrate. As the drive shaft rpm goes higher, that energy transmits into the t-case housing, and it gets to a point the casting can't take it.

On a double cardan, one side of it is accelerating, while the other side of it is decelerating. The net result is pretty close to a constant velocity joint.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-02-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

A single u-joint, if not straight, will accelerate and decelerate twice in each revolution, made worse the greater the angle.
That will make the massive double cardan on the other end vibrate. As the drive shaft rpm goes higher, that energy transmits into the t-case housing, and it gets to a point the casting can't take it.
Wow. Thank you, I appreciate the break down.

The reason I ask all these questions is that when the time comes to ditch my factory drive shafts, I want to know what lies ahead of me. That multi-CV Tom Woods shaft is sounding like the way to go.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by u-joint
Wow. Thank you, I appreciate the break down.

The reason I ask all these questions is that when the time comes to ditch my factory drive shafts, I want to know what lies ahead of me. That multi-CV Tom Woods shaft is sounding like the way to go.
Only one forum member has come forward saying he is using the multiple double cardan front drive shaft. He says he is having good performance from it.
Tom Woods says it is specifically for use when you can't get the pinion and drive shaft to be in alignment.
If others are using it, it would be nice to hear from them.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I asked you earlier about the Tom Woods you gave me the impression that it didn't sound like a good idea.

What are your thoughts now? I'm thinking of ordering it. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2011, 07:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by shockwaveaz
When I asked you earlier about the Tom Woods you gave me the impression that it didn't sound like a good idea.

What are your thoughts now? I'm thinking of ordering it. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Like I said, I was just picturing it in my mind. I didn't know they were making a multiple double cardan.
The person who said he has one, and it doesn't flop around, would know from experience.
I'd give it a try if I needed it...if they make one for the JK.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-02-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Another transfer case explosion/fire