Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Another transfer case explosion/fire

Old 04-02-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Did it explode under the same conditions as most of the others? At highway speeds, in 2wd?
yup. While accelerating onto highway after gassing up. Going about 60 probably
Old 04-02-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by skeptic
yup. While accelerating onto highway after gassing up. Going about 60 probably
If the front of it exploded, I would guess the hubs were locked in?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Super Freak

another question from someone who is trying to understand this whole thing. would having adjustable controle arms help to reduce the chance of this happening or not make a difference.
and just to help me sleep better, with a 2.5 coil lift, stock gears and DS's i am in the clear for this happening. i Know i meet none of the post 16 requirements but just want to ask in case.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

If the front of it exploded, I would guess the hubs were locked in?
I only locked them for driving offroad. The front shaft was still attached to the tcase. The inside parts were still intact too. The f'ing housing exploded because chrysler mass manufacturers crap.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:31 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by jtjk
another question from someone who is trying to understand this whole thing. would having adjustable controle arms help to reduce the chance of this happening or not make a difference.
and just to help me sleep better, with a 2.5 coil lift, stock gears and DS's i am in the clear for this happening. i Know i meet none of the post 16 requirements but just want to ask in case.
The adjustable control arms will make a difference only if you are willing to give up a lot of caster.

Your mostly stock components are reducing your chances of this happening.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-02-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by skeptic
I only locked them for driving offroad. The front shaft was still attached to the tcase. The inside parts were still intact too. The f'ing housing exploded because chrysler mass manufacturers crap.
You must have had something else going on, as your front drive shaft should not have been spinning. Some t-cases have exploded from lack of lubication of the front output area.

This brings me to another point.
The owner's manual says not to tow the JK on a front wheel dolly because it will cause t-case damage.
Having the front hubs unlocked, and the front drive line not rotating, should be identical to having the front wheels on a dolly.

I called the vender who sells the hubs and asked about this. They said the front drive shaft still spins, although not as fast as if the hubs were connected.

I then pm'd a forum member who has the hubs. He said the front drive shaft does not spin when driving with the hubs disconnected.

That facet of the problem is still in question.

Chrysler doesn't make the t-case.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-02-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

This is the recipe for disaster:
Lifted
Regeared
After market front drive shaft with single joint at the pinion, double cardan at the t-case
An adapter at the t-case that increases the distance of the double cardan from the t-case.
Front pinion more than a few degrees out of alignment with the drive shaft
Highway speed

That's when you are tooling along, fat, dumb, and happy, (no offense, it's just an expression), then you suddenly hear the onset of vibration. Then, all of a sudden, KABOOM!
It's happened to quite a few JKers.

The thing that would prevent this is getting the front pinion and drive shaft into alignment. The double cardan at the t-case requires the front joint to be in alignment with the drive shaft.
But then, that can't be done on a lifted JK because you would have too little caster.
So what's the solution? If the stock driveshaft kicks the bucket, and aftermarket driveshafts won't work without having too listtle caster, what can you do?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

You must have had something else going on, as your front drive shaft should not have been spinning. Some t-cases have exploded from lack of lubication of the front output area.

This brings me to another point.
The owner's manual says not to tow the JK on a front wheel dolly because it will cause t-case damage.
Having the front hubs unlocked, and the front drive line not rotating, should be identical to having the front wheels on a dolly.

I called the vender who sells the hubs and asked about this. They said the front drive shaft still spins, although not as fast as if the hubs were connected.

I then pm'd a forum member who has the hubs. He said the front drive shaft does not spin when driving with the hubs disconnected.

That facet of the problem is still in question.

Chrysler doesn't make the t-case.
Let's think about this..If you have manual hubs, and you disconnect, the front axles should not rotate. No axle rotation = no front DS rotation; however the oil in the transfer case is in movement and this may rotate the DS with a no load condition. If the transfer case still "exploded" with a no load driveshaft rotating slightly, then in my opinion the transfer case must of been low on lubricant. What do you think???
Old 04-02-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I say go for the Atlas II.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

I have the Tom woods double double cardan drive shaft in the front of my jk. It seems to be doing fine, also not sloppy at all, when both ends are bolted up u can not even move the driveshaft at all.

Quick Reply: Another transfer case explosion/fire