Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Another transfer case explosion/fire

Old 04-01-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DTJK

Or Prorock Unlimited.
Really? I am ignorant... Do explain. Is it because the unlimited as the pinion angle adjusted? Couldn't you accomplish the same thing with adjustable control arms?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

I had just gotten the Jeep back from Northridge where prosteer ball joints had been installed and the entire front end was rebuilt due to a different shop royally f***ing up the front gear job. To my knowledge everything looked and felt in spec. The vibes only lasted about 40 miles before the damn thing exploded. REALLY bad for the last 4 miles but I had no where to get off the highway and I had slowed down considerably. Just as a warning if you feel driveshaft vibes to the point that it's felt in the steering wheel just get the hell off the road ASAP.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by u-joint
Really? I am ignorant... Do explain. Is it because the unlimited as the pinion angle adjusted? Couldn't you accomplish the same thing with adjustable control arms?
The Prorock Unlimited has 10° of separation between the pinion axis and the king pin axis. The stock JK axle has only 6° of separation.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx

This is the recipe for disaster:
Lifted
Regeared
After market front drive shaft with single joint at the pinion, double cardan at the t-case
An adapter at the t-case that increases the distance of the double cardan from the t-case.
Front pinion more than a few degrees out of alignment with the drive shaft
Highway speed

That's when you are tooling along, fat, dumb, and happy, (no offense, it's just an expression), then you suddenly hear the onset of vibration. Then, all of a sudden, KABOOM!
It's happened to quite a few JKers.

The thing that would prevent this is getting the front pinion and drive shaft into alignment. The double cardan at the t-case requires the front joint to be in alignment with the drive shaft.
But then, that cant be done on a lifted JK because you would have too little caster.
Thanks for the explaination ..... I'll have to check my JK out .... Teraflex 3" lift with 4 flex(control arms) new front track bar and stabilizer kit... Running on MT MTZ's 35". Hope I can sleep tonight...lol... Long day at work tomorrow. Rob
Old 04-01-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Stupid question will this happen using the stock shaft on a 4.5" lift?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DCJEEP
Stupid question will this happen using the stock shaft on a 4.5" lift?
assuming your stock shaft hasn't torn a boot, or ran into the skid, it may survive.

ronjenx is right on with his explanation. I had all of the things mentioned in 16. I'm trying to rationalize what I'm going to do with the Jeep, I've had to drop what is going to total over $6000 in necessary parts due to breaks/wear and tear in the past 12 months...It's getting ridiculous. If I could do it all over again I would have bought a new rubi, stayed under a 4" lift and stuffed the tires. Going over 4" of lift on a 2dr with D44's is just pointless IMO.

Last edited by runit3; 04-01-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would a double cardan at both ends of the shaft prevent this? I'm willing to change my setup to prevent this.

Thanks

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by shockwaveaz
Would a double cardan at both ends of the shaft prevent this? I'm willing to change my setup to prevent this.

Thanks

I don't think so. Just picturing it in my mind, it looks like the drive shaft would flop around.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I don't think so. Just picturing it in my mind, it looks like the drive shaft would flop around.
Lol ok I, just saws it as an option on Tom Woods. Guess I'm sol

Old 04-02-2011, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Issue seems to be most common with Rubicons with lifts running 5:13 gears... need to be very careful with alignment and vibrations as it just spins so fast. Lost ours at around 22K miles. We take our DS out now for long road trips.

Quick Reply: Another transfer case explosion/fire