Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Another Stubby Bumper Mod DIY

Old 03-22-2014, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Stubby Bumper Mod DIY

I did the stubby bumper mod over the last couple weekends. I read many of the write ups and decided to give it a try. Started with a bumper I bought off CL for $20. Figured that was a cheap investment and I'll still have my original bumper.

I wanted to do the mod where you bend the bumper plastic back and plastic weld it back together. I couldn't get the bend right, so I just cut the end off and decided to try another write up I had read.

I cut end caps from the bumper I cut off. I used L brackets and 1 minute epoxy to mount the ends. This pic shows the L brackets. It also shows the JB Weld Plastic Epoxy I added on the back of the bumper. Figured it would help add support in addition to the brackets and epoxy.

Here's the JB Weld used on the outside to join the bumper and end caps and to smooth the joint. After it dried, I smoothed it with a dremel and sandpaper.

Here are a couple pics of the bumper mounted after spraying it with two cans of Rustoleum Bed Liner.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job! This is the inspiration I needed to chop mine...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2014, 07:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's pretty cool. Good job
Old 06-14-2014, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

I'm having a hard time removing my bumper bc of the vacuum canister (I got a free bumper to stubby from a friend). What did you do?
Old 06-14-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

That turned out awesome
Old 06-14-2014, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJGoff
I'm having a hard time removing my bumper bc of the vacuum canister (I got a free bumper to stubby from a friend). What did you do?
I believe I used a ratcheting box end wrench with a swivel head or just an extension on a socket. I dont remember which one ended up working. It was a pain though.

Quick Reply: Another Stubby Bumper Mod DIY