Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Another Homemade Hard Top Hoist

Old 08-05-2010, 09:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Homemade Hard Top Hoist

I was looking through the threads and saw different ones that have been made. I thought I would show my version of a one man hard top removal.

Some 2x4's I already had from another project, lag screws, and a hoist I picked up on sale plus another 20% off.

Add some heavy duty tie down straps, I also already had, and a little time to find the center of gravity for the top.

A few height adjustments for the garage door.

Finally some added support to store without putting stress on the hoist. A quick trip to the hardware store for chain and other hardware.

The chain is extra long because I saw a write up on the forum that had a platform. I can use the longer chain when I have time to build one.

I added some foam to the hooks later. All in all I did not spend very much, if you compare to removal and storage products I found on the web.

Plus, I made the wife extremely happy since she no longer has to help lift the top off anymore.

Last edited by swpierson; 08-05-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

looks great

I have a similiar set-up I just lower the top back down on to a cart I made and wheel it out of the way
Old 08-06-2010, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Looks good man.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Nice job I wish I had the overhead clearance for something like that in my garage. I just use the buddy system. It works for now.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice job!!!!

Quick Reply: Another Homemade Hard Top Hoist