Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

another custom bumper build

Old 11-20-2010, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another custom bumper build

here's mine...

it's has some features which i want for the area i wheel in. any input is welcome...
Old 11-20-2010, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

it's looking good man... can't wait to see it in metal...Do you plan on adding a winch? also some will say that with a bumper that stubby you wont have protection of your front suspension. That may not matter for your area but, it is something else to think about... good luck
Old 11-20-2010, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

I almost forgot. your receiver there in the middle looks very flush.... I have a few trucks that have the recv in front but only one of them have it flush. I recomend that you let it protrude out from the bumper just a little so you can pin out front. It's a little more accessible. but also if you are trying to pin something or unpin something for that matter and you want to lock it, its very difficult to get a key in there without looking. a lot of times i end up on my back trying to undo it. wether its in the sand mud or street.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

the top is cut out to get access to the pin, hopefully it is enough. a secondary skid plate will be made to protect the vital steering parts. the whole concept is the keep everything as minimal/light as possible.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, if you ever plan on putting a winch on there, wont that cover up your "pinning ability"?
Old 11-24-2010, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2xcapeIN
Well, if you ever plan on putting a winch on there, wont that cover up your "pinning ability"?
It looks great! This is my opinion only and purely aesthetic:
1) The top plate, rear line make it longer but leave the front line the same length. (slanted in at about 45 degrees when you look at it birdseye view)
2) Front plate, make it a little bit more slanted, not too much more....
3) Get rid of those bolt holes. Make a plate that holds the bolts themselves. Tack the bolts to this plate so that they do not turn/rotate. Then weld this plate to the back of the bumper. Voila no more visible bolt holes.
4) Another option, however a bit more work and probably un-necessary - make the front plate a little bit angled downward at the same angle your fog lamps are to be set at so that you dont have to worry about angling your fog lamps inside the holes.
5) When you weld it all up and start grinding it smooth (prep work before paint) grind it ONLY enough to take the excess welds off (dont profile the welds smooth yet). Then take a flap wheel and profile the welds so that the bumper looks like it was bent on a press.
6) Try to avoid banging the bumper around when you work on it and buy a tube of filler (not bondo but just filler) and that will take care of any porous holes from welding.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the info. the receiver is for the winch.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a picture of a JK with your model bumper. The bumper is great!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-Bumper.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	104992  
Old 11-26-2010, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

almost there...
Old 08-21-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts