Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Android Tablet as GPS, Inclinometer abd OBDII

Old 06-16-2013, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have seen my other thread on my overhead console you'll know I had a Magellan 7" GPS as my navigation. Well I was looking into adding a computer to my jeep for more functionality. That is until I got the idea to replace to GPS with a 7" Galaxy Tab 2 android. You pair that with the wifi hotspot installed in my jeep, This now gives me the ability to have access to all kinds of functionality. Like GPS google satellite navigation for seeing trails ext, GPS TOPO maps, inclinometer, Internet, pandora radio, ext. The tablet send audio Bluetooth to my stereo. Also I ordered a OBDII module for it so I can display all my engine diagnostics and to many gauges to list. It works great! And turns on and off automatically with the jeep.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-81230042.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	468447   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4074047963.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	468448   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1694559526.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	468449  
Old 09-15-2013, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey! love your ideas

how did you power this? I realize it has a battery.

custom mount I assume?
Old 09-15-2013, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Powered from the jeep battery, but on the acc I it turns on only when you turn the jeep on.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's pretty cool. I did something similar, only with an ipad.

Does it get in the way up there?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

I've been running a Nexus 7 ever since the first one was released. It is awesome. Torque Pro. Mort Player. Copilot GPS Live. Backcountry Navigator. All of these work without connection to the cell network--an important feature for me because where I go, I rarely have cell phone service. Do recommend avoiding the 2013 Nexus 7--pick up a 2012 version. I struggled with the GPS problem in the 2013, Google finally released a "fix", but it's still flaky. Ended up giving the 2013 to my son.

Here's a video of my install. I apologize for the audio quality, but the first couple minutes show how I did the install.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6UolIlksZs BTW, Apple fans: Do be aware that Apple puts GPS chips in tablets only if you buy the wireless-capable devices. You don't need a wireless plan, but the chip is physically on the cell phone hardware.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:52 AM
JK Newbie

I'm looking to do something very similar with my Nexus 7, and although I can tether to my phone, I want everything to be offline as I might not always have a signal. My JK's got Bluetooth, so music is a simple issue, and as of now I can cache 3D maps in Google earth, and save USGS topo maps for remote locations, along with various free nav apps in the play store (I'm not sure which one I like best quite yet).

I want the device to turn on and off automatically with the Jeep's ignition, and for that I plan on using the app Tasker, and routing power from the USB port inside the center console. I haven't tried it yet, so I'll report back if it all works as planned (I don't know if that port can supply enough juice for a tablet). @EdsJunk, how exactly did you set your rig up to accomplish this?

Last edited by S1I2F3; 09-16-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:16 AM
JK Freak

I'm using the galaxy tab 2 for my torque app. It works really good so far.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EdsJunk
If you have seen my other thread on my overhead console you'll know I had a Magellan 7" GPS as my navigation. Well I was looking into adding a computer to my jeep for more functionality. That is until I got the idea to replace to GPS with a 7" Galaxy Tab 2 android. You pair that with the wifi hotspot installed in my jeep, This now gives me the ability to have access to all kinds of functionality. Like GPS google satellite navigation for seeing trails ext, GPS TOPO maps, inclinometer, Internet, pandora radio, ext. The tablet send audio Bluetooth to my stereo. Also I ordered a OBDII module for it so I can display all my engine diagnostics and to many gauges to list. It works great! And turns on and off automatically with the jeep.
I like your set up, but you may want to check with you local/state laws. Some are funny about obstructed field of vision.

Quick Reply: Android Tablet as GPS, Inclinometer abd OBDII