Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Aluminum Bumpers, 20's & lateral G's

Old 02-28-2010, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Bumpers, 20's & lateral G's

So I'm having a few thoughts and would like the opinions of the guys/girls on this forum. I don't know Jeeps, but I have a '09 4-Dr Rubi and an ME degree, so with that I adventure in to the world of Mods.

Goal: Not rocks, mud. Think Louisiana.

Does anyone know of a bumper / armor company that would be willing to build in T6061 Aluminum. With calculated gusseting one could have a badass bumper without adding SOOOO much weight.

The JK is a slug for the most part, although with 4.10s the torque is good. I am trying to keep my weight down, and run the Warn Powerplant (heavy, i know) thus leaving the stock bumpers isn't an option I like. With that said, I'd like a front and rear stubby, out of T6061 or 6063 Aluminum, thoughts?

Next thought 20's. What are the actual mechanical draw backs to 20's. Aluminum rims (assume cast) are lighter, thus reducing: Required braking force, Rolling resistance, and side wall flex.

I any suspension system the most variable factor in the system (generally) is the dynamic response of the tire. So running 35's on 20's seems to be the thing other than, lack of beadlocks (could run internals) and for some aesthetics aren't pleasing.

Please give me any thoughts you have. People with experience are better than people with calculators.

With the V-6 we're working with I want to stay light...this is a daily driver. Thanks
Old 02-28-2010, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Look at Aberle bumpers
I don't own one, but they sure look cool.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=aberle&page=3
Old 02-28-2010, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

You beat me to it! Here is another thread about them
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...luminum+bumper
Old 02-28-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Junkie

Aberle Offroad makes aluminum winch bumpers.

As for the 20" rims unless you are going to run massive tires you will be loosing alot of side wall and tire flex.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob7765
You beat me to it! Here is another thread about them
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...luminum+bumper
Same thread, I was just on page 3 for the pictures
Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

The reason large rims are totally uncool on Jeeps, except to movie/rock/sports stars and wannabes, is because they are not practical for off-roading. That is, as previously mentioned, unless you have truly huge tires. The rule of thumb is the rim should be about 50% of the tire diameter--so you're looking at 40s. The reason for this is that sidewall provides protection from the rocks. On top of that, in order to improve off-road performance, most folks lower their tire pressures down to about 15 pounds plus or minus. That makes the sidewall even shorter, and damage to the rim more likely.

Finally, aesthetics: What would you think if you saw a Bugatti Veron lifted 6" and on 35" MT tires with 17" rims? Would you snicker a little? I know I would. It's the same thing with the Jeep. The Jeep is an off-road work-horse. As one forum member quotes from a recent online article comparing off-road performance of several vehicles: When a Jeep enters the arena, the other vehicle is inevitably the challenger. Putting rims on a Jeep that are unsuitably sized may get the admiration of clueless friends and acquaintances, but it will definitely get you guffaws, even if behind your back, from those who understand and appreciate what Jeep is all about.

Bottom line: It's your Jeep, do what you want with it.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 02-28-2010 at 08:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Bumpers, 20's & lateral G's