Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Alternative Engine Swaps

Old 10-21-2011, 12:57 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm all for the Ford Eco boost. Smaller, lighter, more efficient and still tons of power.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of this too(alternative motor for the JK)

Subscribed
Old 11-04-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by EzK
I'm all for the Ford Eco boost. Smaller, lighter, more efficient and still tons of power.

That would be nice, but I would hate to open my Jeep hood and read "FORD" haha.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JdTms11
Also allot of states require the engine you swap in to be from the same make/ manufacturer and of the same model year, if not you won’t be able to register it and drive it on the road.
Its state to state. Here in MO the engine just has to be newer than the original car.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the earlier mention of putting in a Pentastar: If I blew my 3.8L & needed a replacement motor I would certainly go the Pentastar route as with my stock 2-door Sport a fire-breathing Hemi would be overkill.

The Pentastar would be virtually plug 'n play as you wouldn't need to make any drivetrain changes (diffs, dirveshafts, axles, transmissions, transfer cases) that Hemi installs require. Not sure if the engine mounts and bellhousings are the same as the 3.8L, but still a comparatively easy install I'd say. Only problem would be to source a Pentastar as they haven't been around for that long.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKlad
On the earlier mention of putting in a Pentastar: If I blew my 3.8L & needed a replacement motor I would certainly go the Pentastar route as with my stock 2-door Sport a fire-breathing Hemi would be overkill.

The Pentastar would be virtually plug 'n play as you wouldn't need to make any drivetrain changes (diffs, dirveshafts, axles, transmissions, transfer cases) that Hemi installs require. Not sure if the engine mounts and bellhousings are the same as the 3.8L, but still a comparatively easy install I'd say. Only problem would be to source a Pentastar as they haven't been around for that long.

Rumor mill says that the Pentastar will be direct injection soon. Curious to see what that does for added hp and mpg. But being that the P-star in general probably would br the easiest swap out there, not a bad thing to keep in mind.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

My previous adventure vehicle as a 2001 Doadge Dakota Quad Cab.
It had a 4.7L V-8.
Tons of power and easy to work on and have some aftermarket support.
As soon as i got the Jeep i thought that would be the next engine for my JKUR.
As mentioned the wiring and programming would be the tuff part.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2If it were cheaper I'd honestly go the ecoboost route, its hard to beat its torque to RPM ratio not to mention the HP. But other than that, I'd go a diesel option.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

I'm really hoping to drop a ls motor in mine I'm planning to do custom aluminum dash so I should have more leeway for electronic what nots
Old 11-20-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do the stock Dana 44 Diff's stand up to the task of a Hemi Swap..?

Quick Reply: Alternative Engine Swaps