Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Almost done with Phase 1!!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Socal Tom
According to the site it locks in the down position. I'm curiuos to see how sturdy the latch is myself. I'll post some pics once I get it in
Tom
thank you, i look forward to the pics.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

I will be waiting for pics of the rack I was thinking about getting one myself.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was looking at this rack as well, not sure if I would need to raise it in the up position. I think fixed/secured in the down position would be enough.

How hard would it be to remove / install as needed?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Got the side guards installed. I'll try and get pics later. The rack is backordered until mid june. I guess the boat from china is delayed by the volcano or the oil spill.
Tom
Old 05-15-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope to make it to some in the future, unfortunatly next weeks schedule is tight and San Marcos is a bit too far out of the way. I'm down in the clairmont area. Maybe I'll send my brother, I'm trying to talk him into trading in his Bronco for a JK. He lives in SM.
Tom

Hey Tom - still not in your neighborhood but closer...here's the next Suds-n-Grubs which for the first time is in the East County and on a Friday. Hope it works with your schedule if not hope to meet you in the future! Can't wait to see some pics of your build!
Old 05-15-2010, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Geeze

Got the side guards installed. I'll try and get pics later. The rack is backordered until mid june. I guess the boat from china is delayed by the volcano or the oil spill.
Tom
This made me laugh considering I'm sitting in Iraq waiting to get a flight out to go on leave. Volcano delayed my leave a month ago, and now i'm stuck waiting due to a dust storm. All to get home and drive my Rubicon for the first time!

As far as that rack goes, I'm glad you posted this because i would really like to have a rack but can't stand the thought of putting one on and taking it off all the time. This seems to be a happy compromise. Great going!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brickybobby
This made me laugh considering I'm sitting in Iraq waiting to get a flight out to go on leave. Volcano delayed my leave a month ago, and now i'm stuck waiting due to a dust storm. All to get home and drive my Rubicon for the first time!

As far as that rack goes, I'm glad you posted this because i would really like to have a rack but can't stand the thought of putting one on and taking it off all the time. This seems to be a happy compromise. Great going!
I was considering building an interior rack when I came accross it. For the price its not worth building one. I just hope it works as promised.

Hopefully the volcano settles down. I've got some travel to Europe coming up. I don't want to get stuck there either.
Tom
Old 11-20-2010, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's been a while. The rack was back ordered for a couple of months, and then they finally had to cancel the order. I reordered last week from JC Whitney and it arrived a few days later. The rack looks pretty well made the finish is good and it was well packed for the trip. I installed it myself with the help of my 5 year old.
I think it will work well for me. Its only rated for 75 lbs, which I think will be ok for my plans. That should allow me to carry a mid size cooler. There are 13 inches between the bottom of the rack and the floor, which is a bit tighter than I assumed, but it should fit my coleman storage boxes. Operation is smooth. The latch mechanism that hold it down are spring loaded pins ( one on each side) that stick into the rear mounts. They will be fine for regular duty, especially with stuff loaded on it. The rack doesn't squeak or rattle once locked down.
I also intend to use the rack to help hold things down in the event of a roll over, so I will probably add a provision for a strap to make sure it can hold down the 150 or so lbs of tools and spares that will be under it.

For those that wondered if it could be used as a security cover over the cargo area, you can still reach between the rear door and the rack to unlatch it if you try. There are probably 8 inches between the rack and the back door. However, it would take time wouldn't be easy. I think it would be fairly easy to add a padlock if you were so inclined.
Tom
Old 03-15-2011, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its been a while but here are some pics.

I added the netting to keep things that might bounce loose from hitting my 5 year old in the head.

The rock rail pic highlights the damage from the TDS safari a few weeks ago.
You can see how the latch mechanism works in the "up" position pic. Its only takes two nuts to remove the rack if desired.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mar2011tg 011.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	138151   Click image for larger version

Name:	mar2011tg 012.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	138152   Click image for larger version

Name:	mar2011tg 008.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	138153  
Old 04-03-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have those rock rails and have been pretty happy with them. I bought them from Quadratech at the Pennsylvania Jeep Show for about half price and they had some shipping damage to them. I had them Rhino Lined and they are slip resistant when my girls get in and out of the back. I am also considering buying that rack from Rampage. Could you post a picture of it from the interior looking towards the tailgate?

Quick Reply: Almost done with Phase 1!!