Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Air Shocks Vs. Coilovers

Old 12-15-2008, 01:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Shocks Vs. Coilovers

Gentlemen,

Could those that have used either or both please fill me in on the pluses or minuses of both?

I'm wondering how well an air shocked evo system would perform on the trail and on the highway......
Old 12-15-2008, 02:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I have never used air shocks on my Jeep, but from what I have seen they do not allow the travel like the coilovers do. I have the coilovers on my Jeep and can tell you they ride very well on the street and on the washboard trails I have been on with it. Better than a stock suspended Jeep, as we have one coilover suspended Jeep and one with stock suspension and I drive them both regularly to compare.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
I have never used air shocks on my Jeep, but from what I have seen they do not allow the travel like the coilovers do. I have the coilovers on my Jeep and can tell you they ride very well on the street and on the washboard trails I have been on with it. Better than a stock suspended Jeep, as we have one coilover suspended Jeep and one with stock suspension and I drive them both regularly to compare.
good feedback, thanks man...
Old 12-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air shock

Originally Posted by a-squared
Gentlemen,

Could those that have used either or both please fill me in on the pluses or minuses of both?

I'm wondering how well an air shocked evo system would perform on the trail and on the highway......

Lets get this straight I am talking about a nitrogen charged air shock that uses pressure for spring rate
this shock looks like a coil over shock with out the coil spring

We do not recommend Air shocks on any street rig.
*if you loose pressure you have no suspension. your car is now riding on the bump stop.
*Over heat issues
*progressive spring rate.
the more you compress the shock the stiffer it gets
sometimes this is a good thing some times bad depends on suspension design and shock Valving
* high operating pressures

We have built a few rock crawlers with these and they work good for what they are.
*There main benefit is they are
*Cheaper
*lighter
*smaller in diameter than a coil over

So if I was building a ROCK buggy under 2000 pounds I may consider them
But for any thing else a I think it is a serious compromise of safety and performance to save a few bucks .

There is a reason you do not see air shocks on a $500,000.00 Baja truck or even production vehicles for that mater.

You will find Coil Overs, a McPherson strut is a kind of coil over shock assembly and this is on 90% of all cars on the road today

Mel Wade
Old 12-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Good information. I agree coilover

Gerry
Old 12-16-2008, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by evolution
Lets get this straight I am talking about a nitrogen charged air shock that uses pressure for spring rate
this shock looks like a coil over shock with out the coil spring

We do not recommend Air shocks on any street rig.
*if you loose pressure you have no suspension. your car is now riding on the bump stop.
*Over heat issues
*progressive spring rate.
the more you compress the shock the stiffer it gets
sometimes this is a good thing some times bad depends on suspension design and shock Valving
* high operating pressures

We have built a few rock crawlers with these and they work good for what they are.
*There main benefit is they are
*Cheaper
*lighter
*smaller in diameter than a coil over

So if I was building a ROCK buggy under 2000 pounds I may consider them
But for any thing else a I think it is a serious compromise of safety and performance to save a few bucks .

There is a reason you do not see air shocks on a $500,000.00 Baja truck or even production vehicles for that mater.

You will find Coil Overs, a McPherson strut is a kind of coil over shock assembly and this is on 90% of all cars on the road today

Mel Wade

Thanks Mr Evo. I appreciate the info....

Thats what I was looking for....
Old 12-25-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had airshocks on the front of my Cj to compensate for the weight of the winch. Do not recommend them for anything other than that. They do not work well off-road. A friend gave them to me, that's the only reason I ran them.

Quick Reply: Air Shocks Vs. Coilovers