Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

AEV Heat Reduction Hood installed

Old 06-22-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DTJK
Just curious, what was the price difference between stock and AEV? i would think a stock hood would be just as much as AEV if not more?
The body shop had the list price on an OEM hood at about $600. I had the AEV hood delivered to them from Northridge4x4 for $900. So it ended up costing me about $300 out of my pocket.

Originally Posted by Work in Progress - JK
I think thats a great looking hood are the perforated 'strips' on the cowl and sides functional - do they allow more air into engine?
I don't know about letting more air INTO the engine, but they sure let a hell of a lot more heat OUT from under the hood. It was in the low 90's here yesterday when I picked it up, and even after the short drive home from the body shop I couldn't hold my hand on the vent in the center of the hood. You could see the heat just radiating out of it after I parked. I would have to imagine the vent on the passenger side allows cooler air into the intake as well, but I don't know if it is enough to make a performance improvement. I doubt it, but regardless........I think it looks pretty bad ass
Old 06-22-2010, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=OoPEZoO;1740029]The body shop had the list price on an OEM hood at about $600. I had the AEV hood delivered to them from Northridge4x4 for $900. So it ended up costing me about $300 out of my pocket.

This makes me wanna take a baseball bat to my hood.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

The hood looks great, I'm really hoping for a hail storm in my area as well!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by JKCliff
Looks like you may have a garage right there in front of that beautiful JEEP. That might keep you from yet a third hood....
It's rather full ...

And the answer to the questions I get asked when I share this pic are: The car is a Tenth Anniversary Edition Trans Am with 49K original miles, and that other thing is a 14.5" Starmaster truss tube Dobsonian telescope.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
and that other thing is a 14.5" Starmaster truss tube Dobsonian telescope.
Thank you, and here I thought maybe you moonlighted as a human cannonball
Old 06-22-2010, 02:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It's rather full ...

And the answer to the questions I get asked when I share this pic are: The car is a Tenth Anniversary Edition Trans Am with 49K original miles, and that other thing is a 14.5" Starmaster truss tube Dobsonian telescope.
Can you not just throw an old comforter or moving blanket over the hood? idk, never been in a hailstorm worth mentioning. Sure i will at some point when i move to Dallas
Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Work in Progress - JK
I think thats a great looking hood are the perforated 'strips' on the cowl and sides functional - do they allow more air into engine?
the heat ruduction is done by letting air out. the one spot on the hood right by the air box is meant to be removed when the snorkel is installed to save having to cut it, like you have to on a stock hood.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Can you not just throw an old comforter or moving blanket over the hood? ...
Yes I can and do. But this particular day I happened to be taking a nap. The skies were completely clear. When I awoke an hour later, it was dark as all get out. Strangely so. So, I went to my computer and checked out my desktop weather radar widget and it showed the skies as devoid of any significant weather. So I was puzzled, but still waking up, and didn't pursue why it was so very dark any further. Within 5 minutes it was pouring hail--incredibly large, dense hail (video 1, video 2). And, that weather widget hasn't worked since. What irony: The moment I needed it to provide me data, it failed.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Nice hood

It is on my list of mods for the Jeep as soon as I get home from overseas.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=OoPEZoO;1740029]The body shop had the list price on an OEM hood at about $600. I had the AEV hood delivered to them from Northridge4x4 for $900. So it ended up costing me about $300 out of my pocket.

AEV has the hood listed for $799. Is that what you got it for? Shipping = $100?

Quick Reply: AEV Heat Reduction Hood installed