Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

50" light bar or a-pillar dual mount with rigid?

Old 01-03-2016, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I'm just trying to find the perfect headlight for my needs too. Led or HID? Too many varieties out there.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

I tried all kind of halogens and HID. My favorite ones are the Trucklites (LED). I put them on about one year ago and love them. I also got the Rigid fog dot approve for the bumper (stock in bumper position). This week I will try to get pictures of my setup from inside the jeep in the dark (hard in a big city)...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-408659746.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	679.6 KB
ID:	633544   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3790182899.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	523.0 KB
ID:	633545   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-482004867.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	633546   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2053489409.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	485.7 KB
ID:	633547  

Last edited by Stephane87; 01-03-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Truck lites work awesome. I have yellow halogen bulbs in my stock fogs with great results as well. cheap upgrade that works as advertised.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kojack
I have no issues with longevity with my HID. I replaced the bulbs after 7 years because they were going brown...that's after over 100,000 of miles usage on them. I drive ALOT in the night time and use them ALOT. mine take like 2 seconds to get to full power, not a huge deal, and the amount and quality of light from them is much better than LED bars. Plus you can't go wrong with having lights that look like the 70 dollar hella 500s that no one will steal because its not worth their time. but flat out outperforms the multi thousand dollar led bars that get ripped off left right and center.
Not sure where your getting the info that HID's out perform LED's its apples to oranges. HID's general throw light farther but that doesn't mean they are putting out more useable light. Most HID's are pencil/spot beam part of the reason pro's use them is the help spot terrain far off when your driving 60+ on trails like Baja. A quick look up on Hella's 500 HID rating puts them around 1200-2400 lumens depending on the wattage run them at. Even best that's 1/6th the light of a comparable 50 inch LED light bar. Not to mention companies like Rigid/Blackoak LED use Hybrid projectors that throw nearly as far. I can't see why anyone woud pick HID's over LED's at this point. LED's will out last most people's Jeeps requiring no additional cost in changing bulbs are much more durable etc.. You can put two 3inch cubes on made with 10 watt crees at 40 total watts that will exceed those Hella 500's.

Last edited by Lugnut74; 01-06-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1117406657.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	576.3 KB
ID:	634649

Here's my 21" cheapo Amazon special mounted on my front bumper. Has a combo spot/flood. I believe it's 12000 lumens but not 100% on that spec. Because i don't have fogs I needed light just in front of my jeep at night on the trails. Plus it illuminates the sides of the trail. Next addition is pods on the a pillar aimed to the side so I can see better when leaned out the window.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Lugnut74
Not sure where your getting the info that HID's out perform LED's its apples to oranges. HID's general throw light farther but that doesn't mean they are putting out more useable light. Most HID's are pencil/spot beam part of the reason pro's use them is the help spot terrain far off when your driving 60+ on trails like Baja. A quick look up on Hella's 500 HID rating puts them around 1200-2400 lumens depending on the wattage run them at. Even best that's 1/6th the light of a comparable 50 inch LED light bar. Not to mention companies like Rigid/Blackoak LED use Hybrid projectors that throw nearly as far. I can't see why anyone woud pick HID's over LED's at this point. LED's will out last most people's Jeeps requiring no additional cost in changing bulbs are much more durable etc.. You can put two 3inch cubes on made with 10 watt crees at 40 total watts that will exceed those Hella 500's.

ACTUALLY the lumens from my HID 500s are approx. 4000 each. but LUMENS do not mean a load of shit. yep my buddies rigid light bar on his F150 puts out 2 times the LUMENS as my HID hellas, but you cannot tell his bar is on when I have my HID hellas on sitting side by side? why? OPTICS. I will bet you 1000 dollars right here right now that your 3" cubes will not out shine or out "Bright" my hellas. You might be looking at the 55w halogen numbers there bucky.

also, useable light and LED bars do not go together either.....having a big bright effing blob of light right in front of your vehicle is NOT useable light contrary to what marketing and posers would have you believe.

Last edited by Kojack; 01-17-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Aside from the very scientific reason that Lumens exist you and I are going to have to agree to disagree on who's correct here. Anecdotal evidence does not supplant science 25K lumens is always more then 4kx2 and there are optics in the LED world that will shine nearly as far and as bright as your HID's projectors. While you might get a great long distance beam 99% of the world that drive Jeeps doesn't drive a 80+mph in the desert the only place that HID's even make remote sense. Go to youtube and find a 10 degree pattern cube it will still spot a half mile down the road or more. While being maintenance free for the life of your vehicle. Long before LED's I had HID's on a 07 FJ cruiser and I can say without a doubt there is no reason to choose HID's in this day and age over good quality LED's.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:14 PM
JK Junkie

I agree. there is ONE LED light that does what my HID does. The vision x light cannon 8" light. that comes close. and the light cannon destroys every other light. The little cubes you speak of are little toys compared to my HIDs both in distance, quality of light output, width of beam, length of beam, overall brightness with no hot spot. I can go on and on. Why is it that everyone running leds have umpteen lights just to light their way when I can do it with two 6" lights with HID and it lights up EVERYTHING correctly. NO blobs of light right in front of you....no light down the road 100 ft and cut off light 90 percent of the 50" bars around. Lumens is a marketing term for the uneducated. they rate LUMENS 1 ft away from source. Lumens were never spoke of in lighting until LED came onto the scene. When I bought my HID, they never mentioned lumens, they mentioned the power of the light that's it. WHy, because LUMENS does not mean a roll of beans. yep, a rigid cube had 4000 lumens 12" away from it. 100 ft away from it and test the "lumens" and its like 100 lumens. where my 4000 Lumens hid hella light has 4000 lumens at 12" at 100ft it still has about 3800 of them. and over 500 lumens at 1000 meters or yards for you americans. That's important for us up here who want to see moose and other road obstacles far off in the distance on our highways, that are unlit unlike 90 percent of the highways in the states where two oil lamps are enough. And my HIDs are more than reliable. I have seen tons of LED bars drop sections of lights etc....I had my last set of bulbs for my HID last 7 years. pop two new bulbs in for a whopping 20 bucks and brand new lights....have a LED light drop a section of lights and your out whatever you paid for your lights. and have to replace it all. Again, ZERO advantage to LED over HID. NONE, NADA, ZILTCH......Tell me, how many miles a year do you drive in the dark?

Last edited by Kojack; 01-17-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 50" light bar or a-pillar dual mount with rigid?