Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

50" light bar or a-pillar dual mount with rigid?

Old 12-28-2015, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I have now; Truck lite headlights A pillar Vision X Utility Market (7 LEDs X 3 watts each) Rigid Dot Fog replacement (in stock bumper) That picture was took from the front at about 2 football fields...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1120801524.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	453.3 KB
ID:	633016  
Old 12-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I think we're missing the point then- you need more light than that for.......??
Old 12-28-2015, 01:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I think we're missing the point then- you need more light than that for.......??
I agree. I try to get out of the trail before the sun go's down. But then again its really nice to have the Light of god out in the middle of the night when your helping a friend or setting up a tent.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3689.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	633023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3690.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	633024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3696.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	633025  
Old 12-28-2015, 02:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephane87
This is what I have now; Truck lite headlights A pillar Vision X Utility Market (7 LEDs X 3 watts each) Rigid Dot Fog replacement (in stock bumper) That picture was took from the front at about 2 football fields...
If you had my Hellas with HID on the front of your rig, EVERY flag in your light blob photo will be lit like the first one closest to your rig! Taking photos pointed at your lights do nothing to show how bright your lights are, or how well they work! take one from the driver seat...
Old 12-28-2015, 02:37 PM
JK Freak

Ok so I'm a bit confuse. From my researches (base on lumens/watts of different 50" light bars and different type of duallys) I was under the impression that I could get way more light then what I have now. I don't know anybody around me who have light bars of those rigid products so very hard to compare someone else setup with mine. I have 4 jeep friends and we are all in the same boat, and we are not to sure on what to get. The dual a pillar setup looked cool to me but if it doesn't bring me more then what I have then there's no point of spending a load of money on it. As for the 50" light bars, we have some good deal in Canada for about 300$-500$ but again if it's not going to give me major difference then....

For most of you guys it's easier because you have access to other jeepers so you can compare stuff in reality not only on pictures on Internet...
Old 12-28-2015, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Kojack
If you had my Hellas with HID on the front of your rig, EVERY flag in your light blob photo will be lit like the first one closest to your rig! Taking photos pointed at your lights do nothing to show how bright your lights are, or how well they work! take one from the driver seat...
I agree with you about the picture. That's the only one I had on the spot... Sorry about that
Old 12-28-2015, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

My question stands though and that can help us answer yours. You want more light, but for what purpose? You can't go down the trail like that because nobody will want to spot you. If it's for setting up camp then even that's tough to justify because those same lights that are too bright for spotters are usually stupidly bright for the guy nailing down the stakes. If you're buying them for the cool factor out for looks then it doesn't matter how many lumens you're putting out, just get the $80 Amazon light bar. If you're wheeling solo and need light then I've got nothing for you because I don't condone wheeling solo.

Why do you need/ want the extra light? The LED's will also react negatively to the snow you receive up north, basically rendering them useless in which case you need to listen to Kojack and get the hid lights.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
My question stands though and that can help us answer yours. You want more light, but for what purpose? You can't go down the trail like that because nobody will want to spot you. If it's for setting up camp then even that's tough to justify because those same lights that are too bright for spotters are usually stupidly bright for the guy nailing down the stakes. If you're buying them for the cool factor out for looks then it doesn't matter how many lumens you're putting out, just get the $80 Amazon light bar. If you're wheeling solo and need light then I've got nothing for you because I don't condone wheeling solo. Why do you need/ want the extra light? The LED's will also react negatively to the snow you receive up north, basically rendering them useless in which case you need to listen to Kojack and get the hid lights.
Make sense... I live in a city and occasionally I do a bit of off road, trails and country road (for camping and ski...). Those lights are not a necessity but I like to know that if I need the extra light then I have it. I also do some setup for schools cross country early in the morning (I'm a gym teacher) and like you saw in that picture, good lighting help...
Old 12-28-2015, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Youtube is your friend, lots of video comparing LED to HID.
I've had Halogen race light to visionX HID's to LED's
HID are bright but take a second to build up to it's rated output and are susceptible to vibration and last around 2K hours
LED's are instant on and last between 50-100,000 hours and are NOT susceptible to vibration like HID's
Take a look at google search and look at king of the hammer race vehicles and Baja 1000 race trucks and see that most are running LED light bars now.
Whatever you get your Jeep isn't going to out drive any of those lights off road.
A good overhead light bar and 2 bumper lights and some rock lights is all most people need.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have no issues with longevity with my HID. I replaced the bulbs after 7 years because they were going brown...that's after over 100,000 of miles usage on them. I drive ALOT in the night time and use them ALOT. mine take like 2 seconds to get to full power, not a huge deal, and the amount and quality of light from them is much better than LED bars. Plus you can't go wrong with having lights that look like the 70 dollar hella 500s that no one will steal because its not worth their time. but flat out outperforms the multi thousand dollar led bars that get ripped off left right and center.

Quick Reply: 50" light bar or a-pillar dual mount with rigid?