Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

5.7 vvt hemi gas mileage?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 vvt hemi gas mileage?

what kind of mileage are you hemi owners getting?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they can afford a Hemi they probably don't care. Couldn't be worse than the 3.8 though.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can't report on mileage since I don't have one but I always figured that with a Hemi you could get just as good if not better mileage than the 3.8 because you could lug it around at lower revs with the extra torque.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know about the VVT, but my 5.7L from an '08 Grand Cherokee is netting me about 12 MPGs. This is with a lifted, steel-bumpered Rubicon Unlimited with 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers.

My mileage took about a .5 to 1 MPG drop after the swap. I believe this is due to the added weight of the Hemi and the new transmision. And the liberal use of the skinny pedal isn't helping in that department either............

But, the GPM (grins per mile) is WAAAAAY up.

Anthony
Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dunemobbin
If they can afford a Hemi they probably don't care. Couldn't be worse than the 3.8 though.
In regards to range its still important. With my last jeep I hated that I had to stop for gas every 200 miles or load up on gas cans. If I ever do get a Hemi I sure hope its as good or better then the 3.8 due to this fact alone.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Seriously I have the stock motor in my 2 door, and wish I could go more than 200 on a tank as well. I was thinking about the gen right extra tank, but that is a lot of rear end weight.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

sorry man I do care . gas mileage isnt about penny pinching it relates to range. If we are going down to baja i need to know how many fuel stops and emergency fuel to bring . not everyone wheels at the mall and can pick up gas across the street.

Barry
Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

Sarcasm never works on this forum. I was kidding. I live 15 min from the border, and range is very important to me as well. Like I said, there is a fuel tank that fit in place of a stock muffler. An extra 20 gal will fix the mpg difference.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default If you want extended mileage...

Check this out..its a ok solution to the range issue.

thelongranger.com.au/ta64pa/index.html

Last edited by Sharkey; 04-08-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: No non-sponsor links please.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Seriously I have the stock motor in my 2 door, and wish I could go more than 200 on a tank as well. I was thinking about the gen right extra tank, but that is a lot of rear end weight.
With a hemi your going to have allot more front end weight. Both issues can be solved with adjusted suspension or different suspension. But a hemi and a long rang tank could be pretty cool

Quick Reply: 5.7 vvt hemi gas mileage?