Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

5.7 Hemi Swap Colorado

Old 12-25-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I didn't run the stock cam at all. Teraflex plus has installed a few of them and ran them against stock 5.7 and 6.1s. They claim it makes a pretty big difference.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

U do know that AEV pushed their 5.7 jeep into and out of this years sema, correct? Also, have you seen the 5.7 exaust manifolds, as conpaired to the 6.1 srt8 headers. I have never in my life thought about removing the body to do a conversion, but what ever foats your boat, and the aev exaust is crap, and only works with the 5.7 manifolds, and AEV actually told us that their is no difference between the 5.7 manifolds and the 6.1 headers, might be the dumpest thing I have ever been told. I do agree that if you can do this project yourself, their is no greater satisfaction. I would not use an aev kit if you gave me one, anyone want pics of them pushing their jeep out of sema, just let me know. Dans kits are the only way to go, and guess what, if you have any questions during the install, he gives you his cell number as well. [/QUOTE]

Let's just be perfectly clear here........that was their VVT 5.7L conversion at Sema. Not surprising as they are still in development on that conversion. And yes I have seen them, but I don't know what the flow difference is and what the impact on the HP and torgue curves are. Someone should do a dyno test just to get to the real numbers. I don't know what you could be referring to in regards to the rest of the AEV exhaust system. I found it to be very well engineered and installed easily. In addition, it tucks up tight to the bottom of the transmission pan allowing the installation of a Rock Hard engine skid. I have seen BOR kits with "custom exhaust" where the exhaust pipe that crosses over to from the passenger side to the drivers side hangs down so low it would be impossible to install and engine/trans skid plate. And I have watched those pipes get crushed on rocks.

Dan makes a great kit. There are pluses and minuses to each one. People need to do their homework and decide which is best for their application and intended use. And whether they want new, correctly bent AC lines (AEV) or whether they want to have to re-bend the factory lines (BOR) (which can leak after being bent).

As for pulling the body off the frame, it only takes about 90 minutes. There is not much too it. It is the way the jeep is assembled so it comes off pretty easily. And re-installing it was even faster.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:18 AM
cfr
JK Freak

This guy in Longmont did it himself,

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/completed-home-6-1-hemi-conversion-100957/
Old 12-26-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cfr

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100957
He certainly did. And it turned out great! Top notch install.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cfr

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100957
That's me.

I absolutely love my converted JK. Absolutely no problems now with over 3500 HARD miles on it. The issues I have had we my own making (like leaks and such).

In short, like others have said, research yourself. Each company has their own pros and cons. I have my reasons for going with BOR (not just because I wanted the complete 420 HP). Having wheeled and talk quite often with those that have JK's with AEV and BOR conversions, here's the main poop:

If you want the 5.7, go with AEV. Anything bigger, go with BOR.

I bought everything brand new. I didn't want anything used so I paid a premium price but that was my choice.

I know of a guy that did a complete 5.7 AEV kit for right at 8K. He shopped around, had some prior mechanic knowledge, and like you, researched prior to making the final choice. He and I talked quite a bit at the end of the research end and he will tell you the same thing I BOLDED above.

As to your legal questions, in short, to make 50 state Emissions legal, the power plant being installed had to be of the same year or newer than the recipient and be available in the same "make" and "class" as the donor. So, the Grang Cherokee (for the 6.1 SRT) and the Commander (for the 5.7) pretty much covers that requirement. If someone puts a 6.4 or even bigger then there might be problems with some states and inspections. Then again, if they don't know then giddy-up.

As stated earlier, you got a 4 year pass on emissions testing from new on the JK's. Even the 2007's are good to go until 2011.

No matter the kit you use, they all fit as they should and looks factory.

I believe that using the AEV kit with the 6.1, you would loose 40 or more HP with using their exhaust for the 5.7. That means you would loose half the gain from the 5.7 to 6.1. That's not worth the added cost for just the motor for only a net 40HP gain.

There was a post earlier that spoke of having to deal with pins in the harness and such. There was no such thing for me and my BOR kit. It literally plugged in everywhere it was supposed to and worked the first time and every time since.

There are enough of these conversions around now that you will get just as many differerent opinions. Some might be professional and others might be personal. In the end, you can't go wrong with any of them and the engine size and kit you use will be a personal choice. Look at it this way, if you ever had to sell it, can you imagine anyone saying, "no thanks. I'll pass. It has a XXX install kit".

It's a HEMI baby! Just get-er-done!!

You call if you need help. I love this shit!

Quick Reply: 5.7 Hemi Swap Colorado