Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

5.7 Hemi Swap Colorado

Old 12-12-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 Hemi Swap Colorado

Hello everyone, I didn't really know how else to title this thread because I had a two part question. Question 1 - Has anyone in Colorado performed a Hemi Swap on their JK? What are the laws? Question 2 - There are probably a number of threads on this but I want to purchase the AEV 5.7L Hemi conversion kit and I want to keep it manual so I am waiting for AEV to release their new kit that they say will be ready for sale 1st Quarter next year. Where do you guys recommend I go to purchase the 5.7L Hemi and Getrag Transmission? I ask about where to purchase these becuase I know a lot of you have done some good research and I want to start with buying the motor and then the tranny and so-on, I can't afford everything upfront. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats some serious cash bro! Good Luck, what are you gonna do with your stock engine?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a good price I thought it was 15K for a hemi swap!!!
Old 12-12-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

We have a couple of members in our club who have done swaps. Im planning on a 6.1 and a 6-speed. Im in the same boat as you. I want to start getting parts together now. I havent found a great source for either. SLC said that there are a few different versions of the getrag and only one works. Anyone have the info on this?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for replying - So if I hear you right I need to purchase a 5.7 that is 2007
or newer to satisfy Colorado DMV guidelines? I do appreciate all the info you provided. I did see, when I looked on car-parts.com site, that many of the car 5.7 Hemi's were also in the mix - anyone know if they are alright to install with the AEV kit - which one? I will be giving Eric (LKQ) a call on Monday for a Hemi and tranny quote. How do you like your conversion so far? Any issues? Do I need to purchase the AEV Heat reduction hood as well? Saw some people were having overheating issues. I don't think that they had the heat reduction hood - I don't know. Thanks again and enjoy the 45 deg heat wave!

Last edited by JackMac4; 12-18-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by km2jk
We have a couple of members in our club who have done swaps. Im planning on a 6.1 and a 6-speed. Im in the same boat as you. I want to start getting parts together now. I havent found a great source for either. SLC said that there are a few different versions of the getrag and only one works. Anyone have the info on this?
I sent an email to AEV on that very question but have not heard from them. They are not very good about returning emails. They must be pretty busy. Anyone know which Getrag to use?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

I was told that "truck" hemi's are longer than the "other" hemi's. Most people use the "other" hemi's including myself. The truck hemi might fit but would probably require a body lift. Call Park Jeep if you want a new brand crate hemi...
Old 12-13-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheonlyREDhead 2008 JK
Thats some serious cash bro! Good Luck, what are you gonna do with your stock engine?
I have some overtime action and hope that the company will bust out a bonus for us at the end of the year (probably dreaming on the bonus). I will be doing the work myself, I have the garage and the necesary tools and some mad skills. I did a V8 conversion on my '74 FJ40 Landcruiser and had no issues, just a lot of trips to Homer Depot and NAPA for minor stuff (which can drive you crazy!). I will pay the cash for the AEV Kit that they offer, although it would help if it were a bit cheaper. From what I read on this forum, people seem to be satisfied with the kit. It is a pain in the butt to have to keep running to the parts store for little things. AEV has already done the R&D and that is what you are paying for - it is a bit steep for what I want to pay but I have not seen anyone sell below what AEV has on their website. Know of any deals? I will be checking with some of AEV's dealers on Monday for a quote - who knows - someone might throw some Xmas Spirit out there - ya never know.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pdiddyblum
Thanks for replying - So if I hear you right I need to purchase a 5.7 that is 2007
or newer to satisfy Colorado DMV guidelines? I do appreciate all the info you provided. I did see, when I looked on car-parts.com site, that many of the car 5.7 Hemi's were also in the mix - anyone know if they are alright to install with the AEV kit - which one? I will be giving Eric (LKQ) a call on Monday for a Hemi and tranny quote. How do you like your conversion so far? Any issues? Do I need to purchase the AEV Heat reduction hood as well? Saw some people were having overheating issues. I don't think that they had the heat reduction hood - I don't know. Thanks again and enjoy the 45 deg heat wave!
I am not sure if it satisfies the Colorado DMV, but I'm not sure when this would ever come into play. Maybe during emissions, but other than the sound of the engine, they'll never know what is under the hood. I have read on these forums that many states just require an engine for a vehicle of the same year or newer....not too sure about any of this.

As for how I feel about the engine swap, it has been pretty awesome. There is just about as much power as you would ever need, and it is there when and where you want it. It seems like it was built this way from the factory....no check engine lights, and everything works as it did with the stock motor. I know it seems like a lot to pay for AEV's kit, but when you open it up and see what kind of R&D went into developing this, and the quality of the parts, then you won't think twice, because you'll be doing everything "right". The wiring harness, computer, motor mounts, exhaust, programmer, etc. all fits like a glove and works seamlessly with the Jeep's existing electronics.

As for the hood, I bought it because I thought it looked cool, and there is some additional function from a heat dissipation standpoint, but it is not necessary, nor do I think it would be the difference in the engine running hot. If it helps you sleep at night, or you can use the overheating to justify the hood to your significant other, then go for it.

Do it....you'll love it.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FJ80fornow
I am not sure if it satisfies the Colorado DMV, but I'm not sure when this would ever come into play. Maybe during emissions, but other than the sound of the engine, they'll never know what is under the hood. I have read on these forums that many states just require an engine for a vehicle of the same year or newer....not too sure about any of this.

As for how I feel about the engine swap, it has been pretty awesome. There is just about as much power as you would ever need, and it is there when and where you want it. It seems like it was built this way from the factory....no check engine lights, and everything works as it did with the stock motor. I know it seems like a lot to pay for AEV's kit, but when you open it up and see what kind of R&D went into developing this, and the quality of the parts, then you won't think twice, because you'll be doing everything "right". The wiring harness, computer, motor mounts, exhaust, programmer, etc. all fits like a glove and works seamlessly with the Jeep's existing electronics.

As for the hood, I bought it because I thought it looked cool, and there is some additional function from a heat dissipation standpoint, but it is not necessary, nor do I think it would be the difference in the engine running hot. If it helps you sleep at night, or you can use the overheating to justify the hood to your significant other, then go for it.

Do it....you'll love it.
I guess that says it all - I can't see why anyone wouldn't love having a Hemi in the JK!

Quick Reply: 5.7 Hemi Swap Colorado