Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

5.13s installed and loving them!!

Old 04-08-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasser
Would you really notice the gear change on a 6 speed? I would think just moving all your shft points down a gear would be the same thing. Now I agree, it would make a difference if you use or need to use 6th. I thinka gear that is that tall and this low of power would be useless but first gear was just as useless on the road before my 35s.

With my 35s I just noticed first gear is more useable, the rest I just seem to stay in the next lower gear than before and nothing else has changed. I agree, the highway I need to stay in 5th unless down hill or very flat. Up hill I will stay in 5th or even 4th.

All changing my gears would do is move all my gearing back down and now I would need 6th again but would not feel any different than 5th does now at highway speeds.

Thoughts.?

Jeff

Absolutely!! I know that you can down shift on an incline if you need to, but it is nice to not have to. Another big difference is getting your slow crawl speed back when on the trail.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by livin
so, if you had to do it again... or you could do a free gear swap when you get your 37's one day.. would you still for sure stay with 5:13's and not go up to the 5:38's.

I have just bought 37x12.50 17s and will run it with a 4.5 inch mopar lift (RE) I can't decide whether to just go to a 5:38 or the 5:13s. I live on an island... speed limit doesn't exceed 45. I will take it on the mainland and highway... but pretty much only for warranty work, and oil changes. Not much highway driving planned at all.

I wouldn't hesitate to run 37s with 5.13s and a 6 speed.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Strong Bad
Absolutely!! I know that you can down shift on an incline if you need to, but it is nice to not have to. Another big difference is getting your slow crawl speed back when on the trail.
Good point on the crawl rate as I have the 4:1 case but have not tried it yet with the new tires. I used it last year in Colorado up some steep inclines and did not have to touch the gas. If that is gone then Im going to do the gears for that reason. I think for road use it drives perfect right now as is but I have not had time to test the off road performance. I still feel with it in 4 low that it will supprise me... We will see.

Jeff

Quick Reply: 5.13s installed and loving them!!