Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

5.13s installed and loving them!!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure you will be fine with 35s. Check out 4lo.com, it will give you peace of mind!!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

so, if you had to do it again... or you could do a free gear swap when you get your 37's one day.. would you still for sure stay with 5:13's and not go up to the 5:38's.

I have just bought 37x12.50 17s and will run it with a 4.5 inch mopar lift (RE) I can't decide whether to just go to a 5:38 or the 5:13s. I live on an island... speed limit doesn't exceed 45. I will take it on the mainland and highway... but pretty much only for warranty work, and oil changes. Not much highway driving planned at all.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

Would you really notice the gear change on a 6 speed? I would think just moving all your shft points down a gear would be the same thing. Now I agree, it would make a difference if you use or need to use 6th. I thinka gear that is that tall and this low of power would be useless but first gear was just as useless on the road before my 35s.

With my 35s I just noticed first gear is more useable, the rest I just seem to stay in the next lower gear than before and nothing else has changed. I agree, the highway I need to stay in 5th unless down hill or very flat. Up hill I will stay in 5th or even 4th.

All changing my gears would do is move all my gearing back down and now I would need 6th again but would not feel any different than 5th does now at highway speeds.

Thoughts.?

Jeff
Old 04-08-2009, 03:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gasser
Would you really notice the gear change on a 6 speed? I would think just moving all your shft points down a gear would be the same thing. Now I agree, it would make a difference if you use or need to use 6th. I thinka gear that is that tall and this low of power would be useless but first gear was just as useless on the road before my 35s.

With my 35s I just noticed first gear is more useable, the rest I just seem to stay in the next lower gear than before and nothing else has changed. I agree, the highway I need to stay in 5th unless down hill or very flat. Up hill I will stay in 5th or even 4th.

All changing my gears would do is move all my gearing back down and now I would need 6th again but would not feel any different than 5th does now at highway speeds.

Thoughts.?

Jeff
That's my thought too. Around town I pretty much only use 2-4 anyways. First is pretty much useless with stock 32" tires. When I get 35's, I'll probably be using 1-4. On the highway I wouldn't want to be running much over 2500 RPM in 6th at 70-72 mph. If I need more power I'll just shift down a gear.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by livin
so, if you had to do it again... or you could do a free gear swap when you get your 37's one day.. would you still for sure stay with 5:13's and not go up to the 5:38's.

I have just bought 37x12.50 17s and will run it with a 4.5 inch mopar lift (RE) I can't decide whether to just go to a 5:38 or the 5:13s. I live on an island... speed limit doesn't exceed 45. I will take it on the mainland and highway... but pretty much only for warranty work, and oil changes. Not much highway driving planned at all.
We need to get together so you can drive RubyDoo with her 35's and 5.13's. with a 6 speed.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Had attitude, in the shop now for a transfer case prob.
whats wrong with the tranz case im thinking there is something wrong with mine it's making a clicking noise when i put it into 4WH
Old 04-08-2009, 02:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Strong Bad
I am sure you will be fine with 35s. Check out 4lo.com, it will give you peace of mind!!
so what #s do we plug into all of the blanks?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

sounds like 5:13's wil be just fine with 37's... I agree with this thread that first gear with stock 32's is almost useless... so if 4lo.com says that 5:13's with 37's will be an improvement over stock... then coooooool!!!!!

Last edited by livin; 04-09-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:12 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Coolcostie
Whats you MPG now?
You don't get a Jeep for MPG.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
so what #s do we plug into all of the blanks?
All the info you need for your tranny and transfer case etc.. can be found here:

offroaders.com/tech/jeep/Jeep-Wrangler-JK-SPECS.htm

As you will see, there is a definite difference in the transmissions and transfer cases.

Quick Reply: 5.13s installed and loving them!!