Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

3rd row in the JKU is done

Old 01-06-2012, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd row in the JKU is done

Bought a rubicon 2 door back seat and a set of LJ Brackets. Bought some grade 8 bolts and nuts. Bought some lap belts off of ebay. Will post some pics tomorrow.

My recommendation - buy the teraflex brackets and save yourself alot of heartache and trouble.

Don't need to hear about the safety aspects of it, i've heard it all.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got any pictures of it? I'm curious as to how this would work out, my dad has a 2 door and he is just keeping the back seat in the garage, and I've got the unlimited. Is it easy to remove still? Do the brackets get in the way of the cargo when it's out? How much cargo room do you have with it in there? Sorry for the interrogation I'm just curious is all.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:51 AM
JK Freak

What Christarp said...
Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Christarp
Got any pictures of it? I'm curious as to how this would work out, my dad has a 2 door and he is just keeping the back seat in the garage, and I've got the unlimited. Is it easy to remove still? Do the brackets get in the way of the cargo when it's out? How much cargo room do you have with it in there? Sorry for the interrogation I'm just curious is all.
It requires drilling into the body through the body rail underneath and securing it with grade 8 bolts/nuts/washers. I superglued the nuts to the washers to assist in one handed installation, as some of the bolts are up above the rear spring holder. There was another guy that did it and loosened the body bolts on each side and raised the body a little bit, but I found this wasn't necessary. You can also weld up the brackets to the body to give it some extra rigidity but I found this was not necessary.

I did cut the LJ brackets to get rid of the excess length and ground down the rear brackets because the JK seat has a metal plate around the assembly and I needed it to clear, also ground down a couple of the bolt heads to get some clearance issues worked out.

It is easy to remove as it is out of a two door, pull the back lever and then pull the squeeze lever to lift it out.

The brackets are raised and I imagine it would get in the way of cargo but depends on what you are hauling.

With the seat ready for passengers - no room for anything....maybe a hi lift jack? But I have mine right up to the hardtop shocks to maximize leg room. I can sit back there, not comfortably but very doable and I'm 6'2".

With the seat folded up, about 1/2 - 3/4 the trunk I had before.

I'll post some pics in a few.

Total price:

$100 for rear seat
$50 for bolts/nuts/washers
$55 for brackets
$60 for seatbelts

Roughly $270 give or take.

It took me about 7 hours total once I had all of the parts on hand, and that includes moving the brackets once after already installed to maximize distance and an hour waiting on someone to come and help me torque the bolts on top while I held them below.

It is very doable and I had the right tools for the job, but I was about to break down and buy the TF brackets about 4 hours in to it.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Just got a 2door rear seat, and don't really want to buy the T.F. Kit.

Looking forward to seeing your pics.
Andy
Old 01-07-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't wait to see some pictures!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looking forward to the pictures as well!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

pics coming today. I had an episode yesterday with a dizzy kid and puke in a hat in my third row.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cobra69
pics coming today. I had an episode yesterday with a dizzy kid and puke in a hat in my third row.
I didn't want to bring it up, but I always got complaints from kids riding in the 3rd seat in our Explorer. I waived it off as whining. Then, after several years our kids started driving, so I crawled back there to ride and observe - holy cow. Much different experience than riding in the front. Up and down, side to side, to and fro, - I'd say the motion is magnified 3-4 times that far back. Not surprised you had a passenger hurl from riding in the back.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jhol111964
I didn't want to bring it up, but I always got complaints from kids riding in the 3rd seat in our Explorer. I waived it off as whining. Then, after several years our kids started driving, so I crawled back there to ride and observe - holy cow. Much different experience than riding in the front. Up and down, side to side, to and fro, - I'd say the motion is magnified 3-4 times that far back. Not surprised you had a passenger hurl from riding in the back.
I guess that and the fact the kid spent about 5 mins straight on a tire spin, waited 10mins at the park because he said he wasn't feeling good, a 5 min ride home and as we pull up on the curb....he releases. I pull him out the back over the rear seat and put him on the grass, the whole time he is apologizing and hurling - he's only 8, but man was I peed. I guess it's the fact I spent most of the night into the morning finishing it up and 8 hours later it's covered with puke, kind of makes you angry.

I'll go out and snap pics now.

Quick Reply: 3rd row in the JKU is done