Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

39.5s vs 42s Best for Rocks?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 39.5s vs 42s Best for Rocks?

My wife and I are still sasving for our future build and have been planning on running 42" MTRs with Kevlar with EVO Front Coilovers and the Evo Lever in the Rear with ProRock 60s (ARBs, 5.38 gears, HD brakes, 1350 drive shafts), PSC Hydro Assist, and EVO front fenders and rear corners.

We live in Alabama and will be wheeling at Grayrock along with attending EJS each year (trailering the rig) and hitting up other East Coast trails.

My question is whether 39.5s would be better for Moab and Tellico style trails (I believe Tellico is still closed, but you get the point). We've been watching a ton of videos from EJS and it looks like 37s - 39.5s are more prevelant, but not sure why. I know EVO's rig performs great on 42s...is there any downside to 42s?

We will probably end up with 7"+ of lift from the coilovers and can run either tire with the EVO fenders. I always thought the bigger, the better as long as you gear it right and have plenty of power. What do you think?

And before you ask, we eventually want to do a HEMI, but it won't be coming for a few years afterward. We may need to supercharge the V6 until then.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charles7903
My wife and I are still sasving for our future build and have been planning on running 42" MTRs with Kevlar with EVO Front Coilovers and the Evo Lever in the Rear with ProRock 60s (ARBs, 5.38 gears, HD brakes, 1350 drive shafts), PSC Hydro Assist, and EVO front fenders and rear corners.

We live in Alabama and will be wheeling at Grayrock along with attending EJS each year (trailering the rig) and hitting up other East Coast trails.

My question is whether 39.5s would be better for Moab and Tellico style trails (I believe Tellico is still closed, but you get the point). We've been watching a ton of videos from EJS and it looks like 37s - 39.5s are more prevelant, but not sure why. I know EVO's rig performs great on 42s...is there any downside to 42s?

We will probably end up with 7"+ of lift from the coilovers and can run either tire with the EVO fenders. I always thought the bigger, the better as long as you gear it right and have plenty of power. What do you think?

And before you ask, we eventually want to do a HEMI, but it won't be coming for a few years afterward. We may need to supercharge the V6 until then.

Thanks for your help.
The down side to 42 is cost. Tires are Expensive and to build a rig to properly run 42s will be way more than the tires.
I like the 42s. 40s. and 37s the main thing is ENJOY .....
Mel
Old 03-11-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Freak

I go with 40's cause I can still do freeways to Moab. I like IRok's better than MTR/Kevlar cause (IMO) the sidewalls are tougher. I think they stick to rock better too. (yes I have had both).
Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi
I go with 40's cause I can still do freeways to Moab. I like IRok's better than MTR/Kevlar cause (IMO) the sidewalls are tougher. I think they stick to rock better too. (yes I have had both).
Irok sidewalls are tougher?? Tougher than a tire with Kevlar in the sidewall??
Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi
You can still cruise the highway at 80mph on 42s with a stock 3.8 This has been proved by my Wife many times? Its all about proper gearing. The Irocks are way cheaper and a good tire too . I like the road quality of the 42 inch KM2
Old 03-12-2010, 03:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dcorn
Irok sidewalls are tougher?? Tougher than a tire with Kevlar in the sidewall??
yep. no problem splitting/cutting sidewalls with the IROKS. I got rid of my MTRS/Kevlar cause I kept cutting/splitting the side walls.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Evolution
You can still cruise the highway at 80mph on 42s with a stock 3.8 This has been proved by my Wife many times? Its all about proper gearing. The Irocks are way cheaper and a good tire too . I like the road quality of the 42 inch KM2
Dang, alright! Now I HAVE to get 42's!
Old 03-12-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Charles, looks like you are going to duplicate my rig and that is good. You can absolutely run either tire you desire. After completing the North American JK Experience, we drove 90+ MPH on the interstate on 42s without any problems.

Quick Reply: 39.5s vs 42s Best for Rocks?