Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

37 inch Goodyear MTR Kevlar tires Pros vs. Cons

Old 07-05-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37 inch Goodyear MTR Kevlar tires Pros vs. Cons

I'm in the market for new tires. 37's. A good friend of mine works for Discount Tire Co. And he can get me a really good price on these tires. I've noticed they are also one of the lightest 37's.

However I have heard more than a few bad things about the tread wear. Cupping and irregular wear. Only problem is most of this info is from guys who run them on full size trucks. I currently have Duratracs on my 3/4 ton crew cab Chevy and love them, but they don't offer 37's.

I want to know who has them and the pros and cons. We do live in Michigan and these will be used year round for now. So all weather condition drivability is important. Let's hear it.....
Old 07-05-2012, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

love the look and they are great tires off road.
heard of endless problems balancing them, however i haven't had this issue.

Last edited by JKJon; 10-02-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

My buddy put a set on a 2012 full size truck and they were terribly cupped at 5k he told the guy to get an alignment. He warranties the tires for him and 6k later same issue. Said they were just wearing unevenly very quickly.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

I have 33 12.50s and love them off road. Theyre wearing great for me. Almost 10k on them and still look new. 2 of them balanced like crap though. Road manners are acceptable in my opinion but they definitely ride rougher than the stock tires of course. Mine are also pretty loud but hey...they are pretty aggressive tires. Also a friend of mine put a set of 35s on his dodge 2500 with the cummins diesel and quad cab. Those trucks are very heavy. He saw bad wear and cupping. They only lasted 10k miles. No good. But like i said theyre fine for me. Ask WOL about the toyo open country mt. He runs those and i believe he says he get a pretty good life out of them. Not sure about snow with those though. My tires hook up very well in the snow as far as my opinion goes. Off road i have never even aired down and we have wheeled in about a foot or so of snow.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You couldn't give me a set of MT/R Kevlars for my next set of tires. They won't balance, the sidewalls are weak, horrible road manners, the wear uneven, they flat spot easily, mine shake like hell if I rotate them to spin the opposite direction, I can only rotate front to back.

I've run Nitto Mud Grapplers, Mickey Thompson Baja Radial Claws, BFG M/T KM1, BFG Krawlers, older style Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, and these MT/R Kevlars, between my TJ and my JK. These are the worst tires I've ever run.

Last edited by highoctane; 07-05-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had 33's on my jeep and was so happy to get rid of em. They wore terrible and were excessively loud. I upgraded to 35x12.5 Toyo Open Country M/T and love them. They wear awesome and give way better traction through mud, rocks, and snow. The Toyo's are quieter on the road in my opinion and are just an overall better tire.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

I was considering the toyos for an upgrade. Sounds like the way to go. I really am happy with my current tire though...other than the noise.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

JPMagazine ran some test and comparisons a bunch of issues ago (I think it was the April edition). The data is available through their website.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

on my second set of 37 MTR's Love them!!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 PM
JK Junkie

I had them in 35 and HATED them all of the above problems, cupped, flat spotted, wore like shit and wouldn't balance right at all. NOW my 37's YES I went with them again because supposedly the 37's and up are made with a different compound and I can believe that. almost 4K on mine and not even the slightest bit of irregular wear, Hell they barely have any wear on them at all when I used the depth gauge to check. You do have to stay on top of their pressure but my 37's balanced well and run great on the road, pressure is set at 31psi. I have 5 tire rotated them and they didn't need to be rebalance at all, needless to say I'm much happier this time around and am actually considering another set for 40's when I move up.

Quick Reply: 37 inch Goodyear MTR Kevlar tires Pros vs. Cons