Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

35's with stock wheels post em' here

Old 05-26-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the stock X wheel is steel 16", 2007 had optional alloy 16" Tech spoke (top pic) . The optional 17" X model "sparkle" painted Moab is on the black Jeep in the bottom pic. The Rubi Moabs are machined face versions.

Last edited by armycop; 05-26-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by armycop
Actually the stock X wheel is steel 16", 2007 had optional alloy 16" Tech spoke (top pic) . The optional 17" X model "sparkle" painted Moab is on the black Jeep in the bottom pic. The Rubi Moabs are machined face versions.
Aha, thanks. That explains a bit of confusion with me and some local guys. Got a friend who picked up a used '08 X that has the 17s in the bottom pic. She wasn't sure if those were stock or not and was asking me about it. That's why I added the "year" disclaimer in my post above. I wasn't sure either. Added to my confusion that I was told the bottom one's were from a Rubicon too.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by armycop
Ok so ive got 17s on my 07' X. Does that mean they are Rubi look alikes? Is that the only difference? Rubi=machined X=painted?
Old 05-27-2009, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tehiv
No stud snapped, which is what I thought at first. They came unpressed from the axle housing though. The nuts from the Spidertrax on the Jeep's studs came off and were still sandwiched between the wheel and spacer when we separated them. They just worked themselves off. .
Can you clarify the part about the studs? What do you mean by "they came unpressed"?

It sounds like the lug nuts simply backed off and once the wheel/spacer assemby was off the hub, the studs maybe sheared off? They can only "unpress" backwards out of the hub.

And not to point fingers, but if the lugs were backing off, I would think you'd feel/hear a vibration as the wheel was coming loose before the nuts fully backed off. Did you get any warning before things let go? I remember years ago I had a VW Jetta that backed off the nuts on the front wheel. I felt a vibration begining and getting worse and fortunately stopped and checked the nuts before the wheel fell off.

I'm just curious to nail down what really happened as I've used Spidertrax on my old TJ with zero issues. But the spacers were properly torqued with loc-tite on the studs.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gravy Jones
Can you clarify the part about the studs? What do you mean by "they came unpressed"?

It sounds like the lug nuts simply backed off and once the wheel/spacer assemby was off the hub, the studs maybe sheared off? They can only "unpress" backwards out of the hub.
Yes, and yes. The nuts backed off, and the studs came out of the back of the hub.

And not to point fingers, but if the lugs were backing off, I would think you'd feel/hear a vibration as the wheel was coming loose before the nuts fully backed off. Did you get any warning before things let go? I remember years ago I had a VW Jetta that backed off the nuts on the front wheel. I felt a vibration begining and getting worse and fortunately stopped and checked the nuts before the wheel fell off.
Also yes. It had a vibration that was getting worse. I was taking it to the shop when the wheel came off. I just didn't make it there in time. The spacers were only on there from Wed afternoon to Friday evening.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Those stockers with the 35's look really good.....I saw a Rescue Green 4-door Rubicon in Texas on stockers with 36"s looked great!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tehiv
Yes, and yes. The nuts backed off, and the studs came out of the back of the hub.

That's really suprising. I just can't imagine how the studs themselves came out the back of the hub. Those things typically take a press to remove.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

That's really suprising. I just can't imagine how the studs themselves came out the back of the hub. Those things typically take a press to remove.
When the axle came down, the brake disk cut into the inside of the rim - so the wheel stayed with me as I got it off the road. I'm sure it was a banging together as I struggled with it. The axle bearing housing needed to be replaced. It took a beating. I was going 70+ mph when it happened.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's good no one got hurt. And it also sounds good that in this case the spacer itself didnt' fail, nor did it cause the problem. Sounds like a simple case of an improper install (not torqued properly with loctite).
Old 06-05-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just put my spacers on yesterday. I removed the retainer clips on the lugs despite the recess on the spacer. Spidertrax says torque 80-90 lb, and jeep manual ( i forget) was like 110 something (check your manual). I thought that was an interesting difference. I went with 90, but I'm gonna recheck it all in 50 miles. I know folks (i read army's post about these one day) believe they are safe, and I believe they are relatively safe. However, it is absolutely another variable for failure we are adding to the mix.

Quick Reply: 35's with stock wheels post em' here