Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

35" tire on stock Gate

Old 04-11-2009, 08:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 315/70/17 BFG AT on a stock Moab. No spacer. The tire did fit. It squished the tail gate bumpstops and sat on the rear bumper. It was snug and did not move. Only issue was the effort it took to close the gate.

I later added a 1.5" Spidertrax spacer. That pushed the tire away from the bumpstops and moved it off the bumper. At that time, the tire would move around a lot when I went over rough roads etc. The stock carrier, without the bump stops and bumper's help, did not support the weight of the tire very well.

If you add a spacer, you will need Daystar extended bumpstops.

If you do not add a spacer, I recommend trimming the factory bump stops a little to make life easier.

Hope it helps...

Last edited by shredX; 04-11-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine isn't a Moab, but i've got a 35" Krawler on the stock gate. the Cragars have 4" backspacing and the tire is about an inch from the bumpstops

Old 04-13-2009, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used this one:
http://www.teraflex.biz/products/wra...n-bracket.html
Old 10-16-2009, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

So how much for a new door and hinge set up when the factory one fails...
Old 10-16-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just stuck my 35 on. I had an extra 1.5" wheel spacer and I used two lug nuts on the bottom studs to tilt the wheel. It does not look very good from the side, however it is very effective at keeping the bounce out. It snugs up against the bumper and takes a good portion of movement out of it. I can move the tire and entire jeep with no visible flexing anywhere..
Old 10-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Former Member

Don't put 35's on your stock carrier. It WILL damage your tailgate.

Originally Posted by Renzo Fighter
ok here are the pics!

first the inside of the tailgate, the bottom totally got mangled:

And now the outside, it kinda warped or bent both top corners of the tailgate:

Old 10-17-2009, 09:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you hit with it? Did you smack the tire on the ground or something? Hard to imagine that is just from driving on it. What spacer did you use? Extended bump stops? any weight put on the bumper? More info!
Old 10-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
What did you hit with it? Did you smack the tire on the ground or something? Hard to imagine that is just from driving on it. What spacer did you use? Extended bump stops? any weight put on the bumper? More info!
Not my pictures, I remembered seeing them and thought to post 'em for the OP. According to the pictures' owner, that is simply from driving around with the tire on the stock carrier. The rattling, opening, and closing of the tailgate caused the thin sheet metal to flex a lot and break the grilled section. You can also see where the spot welds are starting to tear through by the rust.

You can really mess up your tailgate with a big tire on the back. It takes a toll on everything (hinges, tailgate, corners, etc.)
Old 10-17-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been running 35's on my gate for over a year now and haven't had any problems (yet). I did replace my bump stops with the Daystar ones. I'll eventually get a new bumper and tire carrier, but if you keep the tire secure and it doesn't move around, you aren't going to stress your gate as much. I also try not to leave my gate open for extended periods of time.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Weight difference???

What is the weight differenc between a stock 16" wheel/tire compared to a 17" steel wheel with 35" tire? Are we talking 5-10lbs or a lot more?

Anybody know?

Quick Reply: 35" tire on stock Gate