Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

33"s or 35"s, help me decide

Old 02-16-2012, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33"s or 35"s, help me decide

I am working on building up a 2008 Rubicon, currently stock, and want to know which size tires I should get. I do plan on moderate rock climbs but not to hardcore. I (key words) "heard" that if I go to 33" I would loose some power but not have to regear. Anything larger would require regearing. I am looking for what is reasonable vs. cost. Is it worth the money to buy 35" and regear or is the 33" okay. I could also be completely misinformed and have to regear with 33".

Any info or articles would be great. If this has been discussed in the past, please attach link for me.
Thanks to all in advanced.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HWN_RUBI
I am working on building up a 2008 Rubicon, currently stock, and want to know which size tires I should get. I do plan on moderate rock climbs but not to hardcore. I (key words) "heard" that if I go to 33" I would loose some power but not have to regear. Anything larger would require regearing. I am looking for what is reasonable vs. cost. Is it worth the money to buy 35" and regear or is the 33" okay. I could also be completely misinformed and have to regear with 33".

Any info or articles would be great. If this has been discussed in the past, please attach link for me.
Try searching the forum. We've had two posts on this just this morning.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Search around the modified JK talk sub-forum, there is a lot of useful info in their. This section is more for building and fabricating not tire and lift modifications. And just my .02, if you have a rubicon you already have 32inch tires and 4.10 gears. So 33's aren't that much of a change and 35" tires can be turned by 4.10's just will be a little boggy. (But that why you have Rubicon 4 low)

Last edited by j0ew1120; 02-16-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HWN_RUBI

It's a mathematically proven fact that bigger tires will raise your effective gear ratio and slow you down. Whether or not you have to regear is up to your personal preference. The question is how much power loss can you deal with? The jeep will not stop driving if you don't regear. So you can drive around with it for a while as you make your decision. Your jeep is slow already. You obviously don't care about speed. My guess is you will be just fine without regearing.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

33's will give you better gas mileage than 35's and will get you through just as many places when doing mild rock climbing. If you haul a trailer and or drive on a roads with hills I'd say you'll be happy with 33's. They just don't look as cool as 35's.

If you don't do a lot of driving and don't haul a trailer/camper any distance, I'd go 35's and forget the re-gear.

I have a '10 unlimited Rubicon with 35's and stock 4.10's. I do mostly in town driving and have no issues with the power (for in town). The 4.10, 4:1 transfer case and 35's are a great combo off road.

That's just my 2 cents. Everyone's different. If you find you don't like it you can always change it.

If you don't put on alot of miles
Old 02-16-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys for the info, I don't know how to remove this, but consider it closed.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm sure someone said this above, but... you are misinformed.. you can run 35s with stock gears.. i've been doing it for a year and a half. 4.10 gears.. 33's won't look any different than stock Rubi's imo..

Quick Reply: 33"s or 35"s, help me decide