Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

3.8L Stroker?

Old 04-11-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember one thing. At Allpar.com they did say that first when they made the 3.8 they did try to boost it. the bottom fell out. the motor didn't take boost well.
Just so you know. also I don't think that there is a stroker kit for the 3.8........yet

later

House
Old 04-12-2009, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Damn It !!!!

and here i thought i'd get a satisfying answer . . .

Damn these mini van engines.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting
Old 04-13-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by House
At Allpar.com they did say that first when they made the 3.8 they did try to boost it. the bottom fell out. the motor didn't take boost well.
House
This problem occurred 20 years ago. The current generation 3.8 has eliminated this deficiency - I will try to find the supporting data.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Spillidge
You need a custom crankshaft built, then you need to look at block clearance, con. rod length, computer progamming.....

I highly doubt any company will put the resources into building a "kit" to stroke a 3.8

I am sure it can and will be done, but it will be a full custom deal.
And it would have to be all stroke as I understand the cylinder wall thickness is already as thin as it can be. Does anybody have enough expertise to determine how much additional cubic capacity could be picked up by stroking? The most common stroker is taking a Chev 350 to 383 which is a 9.5% increase. Apply that perceentage to a 3.8 and we end up with 4.16. Does anybody think that opening up the 3.8 to 4.1 or 4.2 is going to make it a whole lot better?

Unless an aftermarket company decided their was a large enough market and invested a lot of time and hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars into the project I don't see anything happening along this line. Anybody, other than a company, with enough bucks to persue this would simply drop a Hemi in and be done with it.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Hello everyone, I just wanted to let you in on my little project. While its not for a Jeep, I thought you might still be interested.

The block is from a 2001 3.8L Caravan, the crankshaft is a 2007 Dodge Nitro 4.0L (brand new), rods and pistons are custom forged. Eventual displacement will be approximately 4.1L and predicted n/a power will be around 300hp. With some tweaks it should be able to handle large amounts of boost no problem. I am not a rich man so its taking forever to put this together, going on three months now, but I'll get it done sooner or later.

The big issue with this crankshaft/engine combo is the crank snout, the 4.0L is OHC while the 3.8L is OHV so it does not have a provision for the timing chain gear or oil pump drive. I have been working with my machinist to solve this issue and we think it can be done without too much hassle.

and yes, I have some wild and crazy ideas...
Old 05-20-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Holy crap.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rob4607
I still think a 4.7 conversion would be perfect. everyone has a hard on for hemi's so the 4.7's shold be easy to source for way cheaper. I had a 2000 quadcab dakota 4x4 auto 4.7 and it was PLENTY of power.
I too am a big fan of the 4.7l and feel it would be perfect in the JK. But, I keep hearing that the 5.7l fit in the JKs engine bay much easier. The dimensions of the 4.7l are a lot different than that of the 5.7l.

I don't think anyone has put a 4.7l in a JK. If they have, I haven't come across it yet. I'd be very interested in hearing about it if some has done it.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

agreed we need more power. hemi swap is not in my budget, nor anyone i know. i think the 4.7 would be sweet. buuut i honestly think the way to go would be a diesel. hopefully one of our brothers to the north can chime in on how powerful they're diesel motors are. i also believe we are going to see many more diesel motors put into vehicles considering the new MPG averages that have to be met by 2016.

and when in doubt gear it, the old school yota's with 22re's had about 70 RWHP, so gear the crap out of what u have till you find that rich uncle u didnt' know about
Old 07-11-2009, 10:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump, i think its time someone started r&d of stroking the 3.8.... go sponsers

Quick Reply: 3.8L Stroker?