Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2013 Billet Rubicon build

Old 04-29-2013, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Billet Rubicon build

I have done build logs for the other rides that I have and wanted to start one on the Wrangler I purchased about a month ago. This isn't my first Jeep (I also have a WK1 SRT-8), but first Wrangler, and I figured I document everything here to keep track and also get advise and suggestions. Any comments, tips, tricks, etc are greatly appreciated. On to the build..

Day 1 at the dealer. I originally wanted a Sport S 6spd w/ 3.73's, LSD, air, and connectivity but had trouble locating it and I didn't want to wait on ordering one. These folks gave me such a sweet deal on this one, no way could I pass it up. Drove 3 hours one way just to get it. It's a 6spd w/ power group, connectivity group, and tinted softop. Wasn't looking for power windows, but it's a nice feature.

Day 2 at my shop. Started planning the build and deciding on direction. I live in south Louisiana so no rock crawling but lots of mud and trails. I love to fish and this will get me to all the spots that I usually have to get to with my atv's.

I knew was getting a 2 door regardless so I had a couple things ordered early. First up, Quadratec liners, sill plates, Mopar gas cap, window tint, remove rear seat, the light stuff. Until I truly decide on lift and shoes figured I would take care of the visual stuff.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

So after I had it for about a week and researching on this forum I started placing orders. Parts have been arriving everyday it seems, so this will take a while.

New bumpers, winch, and lighting courtesy of Chris and Scott at Jeepaddons. These guys are awesome to deal with, highly recommended. I got the LOD Armor Lite mid width w/ bull bar, hawse fairlead, and skid plate for the front, and Paramount for the rear. I also picked up an Engo E9000 w/ synthetic line, PSC fairleadlight mount, Smitty A-pillar brackets, Paramount 36W round LED for the A-pillars and a 12" dual row LED for the front bumper.

Also picked up a Procal from a member here, don't need it yet, but I will

Install of the bumpers was pretty straight forward, didn't have to relocate pump at all. One thing I did do though was I picked up some new (longer) hardware for the front bumper because after it was on with the winch, there was no way I was getting the grill back on, there wasn't enough room. I added about 3/4" total to it and now it's tight, but I can get the grill popped off. A quick note about LOD, the bumper and all the accessories for it were packed GOOD. It was packed like it was headed to war, lol. Extremely impressed!

Disregard the light on the hood, that's me getting ideas, it's not mounted there.

PSC mount

All finished up w/ the bumpers

Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got some custom grab handles made from a member here, love these things!

While waiting on some more stuff to arrive, I went fishing.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also was able to pick up a hardtop (no pics) as well. I'm also planning on doing something to the factory stereo but not sure what yet.

Some new parts arrived today. I wanted to have a clean install for all the lighting so I ordered a Rugged Ridge A-pillar panel, some OTRATTW switches, and a Bussmann relay box to keep it all nice and neat. (Relay box has shipped, will post pics soon)

I still have yet to order the 50" bar and OBA, but it should be ordered sometime this week. I wanted some novelty covers as well for when I'm out with friends, something to talk about I guess.

Hopefully will have the Bussmann box by the end of the week so I can get the wiring done. I'd like to finish with electrical so I can move onto other things. I'm thinking next on the agenda is either trimming the stock flares or getting some Bushwacker flats.

I still haven't decided which route to take on suspension, but as far as tires I'm thinking 35" Duratrac or Toyo A/T 2's.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice build!

Did you buy from Joe Hever?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SHYUperman
Nice build!

Did you buy from Joe Hever?
Thanks!

I am assuming that is a salesperson you are speaking of? If so, no, I dealt with Laura Hall. Koon's is a great dealership, I can't say enough about them.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:58 PM
JK Junkie

Really love the 2dr rubi 6 spd. Awesome bumpers
Old 04-29-2013, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks!

I really like the low weight option that the LOD w/ the synthetic line gives. My factory springs are some of the weaker ones and the setup maybe dropped the front 1/4" from stock.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was asked about the hardware I picked up, so to help anyone in the future this is what I picked up from Lowe's:

8- 1/2" x 3-1/2" SS Carriage bolts
8- 1/2" SS lock washers
8- 1/2" SS lock nuts

The hardware LOD sends is 1/2" x 2-1/2" SS socket cap type bolts, but just comes with flat washers and plain nuts. I wanted the extra security is the reason for the lock washers and lock nuts I picked up. And of course I went longer to space it out from the Jeep so I could remove my grill w/o having to take the bumper or winch off.

And for how I spaced it, I used the factory bumper bracket that holds the tow hooks and I also used the nuts and flats that were included from LOD. Doing this actually makes removal and install of the bumper much more simple. Instead of lining up the hole for the d-ring mount, bull bar mount, bumper then frame, I now have the d-ring mount, bull bar mount and bumper nutted tight off of the vehicle. So now I have a bumper put together with studs sticking out, just slide them into frame holes. Spacing it this way netted me about 3/4" or better. Hope it all makes sense.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

In for more pics, but some are upside down. Or is it just me?

How did the gas cap secure? Good looking build so far.

Quick Reply: 2013 Billet Rubicon build