Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2012 Sport S JKU - Stage One Completed

Old 10-28-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VETTETHRET
So did you have the Bilsteins on before the ELka's? I am interested to see how the ride differs between the two.
Nope. Had to choose a different shock, the Bilstein 5160 remote reservoirs weren't available yet. I guess they wouldn't be available until January? So it was either, Fox, Elka or King so I went with the Elka's. King was unnecesarry, Fox are blingy and better known, but way too much rebound for anything but desert running; so I went with the Elkas. A buddy of mine runs them and gave them high marks. I've seen them around plenty too, great shocks, and they're Teraflex tuned for Jeeps.

They perform as well as expected, sorry I couldn't give you the comparison.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is/was it on the street with the stocks gears? I am going to pickup my '12 next Saturday, have a RK 3.5" ordered and going with 37's as well. However when we spoke about ordering gears it was suggested I hold off as there is no way to reprogram the 2012 yet, and the new motor having more power.

Interested in real world opinion. Thank you
Old 10-29-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasChopper
How is/was it on the street with the stocks gears? I am going to pickup my '12 next Saturday, have a RK 3.5" ordered and going with 37's as well. However when we spoke about ordering gears it was suggested I hold off as there is no way to reprogram the 2012 yet, and the new motor having more power.

^^ This and also correct me if im wrong b/c i'm new to this but how are you going to gear a D30 that steep? I thought you needed a D44.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TexasChopper

Until I get regeared next week, I'm running 37s on 3.73 and it actually has some punch to it. I wouldn't leave it that way though because the gas mileage is suffering due to the lean gears on big tires. As far as the programming, AEV ProCal has a 2012 programmer available. I installed their 4.5" Dualsport premium lift, which came with the programmer. Works great, changed the tire size to 37 to correct the shift points on the auto and no issues. I'll change it again after the 5.13s go in.

You can drive it with 37s w/auto trans and not reprogram it, but you won't do it for long because the shift points are too wonky to not piss you off.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arnice
^^ This and also correct me if im wrong b/c i'm new to this but how are you going to gear a D30 that steep? I thought you needed a D44.
You can regear a D30 to as low as a 5.13, although with 37s you need to install axle sleeves and gussets asap, usually when you're getting your gears done.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift is done

Originally Posted by KSRubicon
I read your Bio...looks like you're well on your way once all your stuff gets delivered!
Well, my lift is done, now it is on to bumpers, winches, etc......are you changing bumpers and putting on a winch? If so which one? I have been really looking at Smittybilt, but some of the things I read in here kind of shys me away from them. Suggestions?

Quick Reply: 2012 Sport S JKU - Stage One Completed