Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2012 Sport S JKU - Stage One Completed

Old 10-27-2011, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks great! Nice start on your build.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blown2tone
have you upgraded your driveshafts ?
Don't need to. The angle on the rear is very straight, and the front driveshaft isn't angled out at all. Maybe I'm crazy but it almost looks like Jeep moved things back a bit on the 2012 and as a result the stock driveshafts aren't all that angled even with a 4.5" lift.
When I called High Country 4X4 here in Denver (they are the best, bar none) for pricing on driveshafts, they told me flat out to run with it unless it gives me trouble, so I'm going to. On my 2dr Rubicon that I traded in, same height lift, I had to replace both. And from day one, the angle on the boot was really bad and I got spinoff within a month. The rear obviously because of the shorter wheeelbase, but the front measurements should be the same between the JK and the JKU....beats me, but the angles look great and so I'm not forking out the $1200 for driveshafts unless I have to.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bradhilldesign
On that same note, did you need an exhaust spacer to allow for proper suspension clearance?
Hmmm....good question. AEV rarely forgets anything, but I'd have to look.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KSRubicon
The lift is amazing.....the high steer kit with bilstein dampener is really, really nice. The steering feels heavy but not in a bad way, just solid, no wiggle, no wander and tracks straight as an arrow. Digging the Elkas too.

The handling kills stock. AEV lift is predictable, stable and confident feeling at the wheel.
Looking good! The AEV 3.5 kit i have drives amazingly well on the road. Now take it out and get it dirty! I need to do the same
Old 10-27-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

FYI, you will need the exhaust spacer (teraflex has one) or the AFE crossover. Not sure who else has fixes for the crossover location issue but a good exhaust shop could do it as well. If you go under your jeep and look at where the exhaust crossover comes in front of the frame crossmember you can see where the front drive shaft will contact it at full droop. It is barely touching at full droop on my 2.5 so I would guess your 4.5 will be at an even more extreme angle. Take a look at the video done by Teraflex on the 2012 and their exhaust spacers.

I have the teraflex spacers in now but have an AFE on order. Once it comes in I intend to wrap and spray it prior to installation to prevent any heat issues.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bgall
Looking good! The AEV 3.5 kit i have drives amazingly well on the road. Now take it out and get it dirty! I need to do the same
As soon as it gets geared next week, then it gets dirty! I need to throw on the sliders first anyway. Good post on the exhaust spacers. I may take it up the road and try to get some good flex on it to see what's up. I've been doing this for awhile, but always something you don't think of.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great! I'll be following your progress. My 2012 will hopefully arrive in December.
who's doing your gear set-up, sleeves & gussets?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blown2tone
Great! I'll be following your progress. My 2012 will hopefully arrive in December.
who's doing your gear set-up, sleeves & gussets?
You definitely need to get with me on the gears and gussets. I've got a guy that did my 2009 Rubicon and will be doing this one as well. Josh will regear with Yukon gears, out the door for $825. Yeah, you read that right. He gets the gears for absolutely stupid cheap. If you bring him the sleeve/gusset kit he'll install it while doing the gears for an additional $300.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KSRubicon

You definitely need to get with me on the gears and gussets. I've got a guy that did my 2009 Rubicon and will be doing this one as well. Josh will regear with Yukon gears, out the door for $825. Yeah, you read that right. He gets the gears for absolutely stupid cheap. If you bring him the sleeve/gusset kit he'll install it while doing the gears for an additional $300.
Man, I live in the wrong area of the US. That's a great price.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bradhilldesign
Man, I live in the wrong area of the US. That's a great price.
Nah, what you do is set it up with him at the very front end of a trip to do some wheeling in Colorado! Get the gears, go wheeling, change the diff fluid and head home!

Quick Reply: 2012 Sport S JKU - Stage One Completed