Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2012 JKU Rancho 3" sport build

Old 08-04-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 JKU Rancho 3" sport build

Here is my first build I hope I can help somebody out with what I have learned. I installed the Rancho 3" sport lift with Rancho rs9000xl adjustable shocks and Rancho adjustable front track bar. I didn't replace the front driveshaft, but I did install the rancho exhaust crossover pipe. I installed a rancho steering stabilizer and JKS quicker discos upfront. I also bought the skyjacker extended rear swaybars links cause the rancho instructions wanted you to drill a new hole and reuse the old swaybar links. I really didn't want to drill a hole so I bought extended rear swaybar links and they worked fine. I did the entire install myself and it to me about 10 hours with the alignment adjustments (first lift I have ever done). After the install I had what I would call flighty steering and the front end felt really rough when I would hit a bump. I have the rancho RS9000xl adjustable shocks and kept thinking I was using the wrong setting on them, so I kept adjusting but never could get the front in to ride smooth. After some research on the forum I found out that my front caster angle was off. Two ways to fix are adjustable front control arms, or front control arm lowering brackets. I went with the brackets for now because they were only $100. It made a huge difference in the ride and steering. I think now I am back to stock or maybe even a little better than stock ride and feel.

I by no means am a JK expert but I really enjoy working on my JK. I hope this helps you out if you looking to start a build. If you have any questions or need help let me know and I will try to help.

Here is a link I used after the install to get my alignment right with the AEV procal: Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

Future upgrades: EVO draglink flip, Adjustable control arms……

The pictures are before the front control arm lowering brackets.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1088978278.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	349329   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2937361289.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	349330  
Old 11-09-2012, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone else with the rancho 3"?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good, thanks for the helpful information!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, I have added the evo drag link flip kit and it helped out.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Looks real good. I'm actually looking at the same setup. Do you happen to know what the top of the roof measures out at now with the 3" Sport and 35" Nittos? I'm worried about still being able to get into my garage. Other than that, I'm sold! Especially with Rancho's Rebate going on right now, $300 off the kit. Can't walk away from that deal.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:36 PM
JK Junkie

Looks good got the same wheels
Old 03-10-2013, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jmachnik
Looks real good. I'm actually looking at the same setup. Do you happen to know what the top of the roof measures out at now with the 3" Sport and 35" Nittos? I'm worried about still being able to get into my garage. Other than that, I'm sold! Especially with Rancho's Rebate going on right now, $300 off the kit. Can't walk away from that deal.
I'm not sure what the too measures at I can't remember. I have a 7' garage door an mine fits in with a couple inches to spare.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red2010rubi
Looks good got the same wheels
Thanks, I really wanted a set of silver pintlers and settled for these to start with. I still might look for some pintlers down the road. I also have a set of black rubicon fender flares but haven't put those on yet. Next I'm looking for bumpers and a winch. I'm leaning towards an ARB deluxe or an AEV premium front with hoop.

Quick Reply: 2012 JKU Rancho 3" sport build