Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2011 Wrangler Fire - Pics

Old 01-07-2014, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad everyone's safe! Hope everything get resolved accordingly.

Kinda cool photos tho!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fallhollow
I hate that this is my first post here but I work at a different manufacturer in the exact department that deals with claims like this. As the insurance company investigator said, there was no determined cause and, unfortunately, that is what the Chrysler investigator probably determined: that no defect was determined to be the cause of the "incident." At that point, it becomes a matter of subrogation wherein the insurance company may (at their discretion) sue the manufacturer for reimbursement for the money they paid you as part of your claim. If the insurance company is successful, through court or settlement, you should see your deductible (if any) reimbursed as well.

Sucks that it happened and very well may have been defect related, but it appears a "no fault" incident is an insurance issue. Chrysler is not going to share their report with anyone, which is common practice in the industry, and is not just Chrysler being dicks. Your call to them allowed Chrysler to determine their liability and had something been found definitive, they probably would have just covered it. It is a business and "cost-effective" decisions are made everyday, but they aren't going to give the report out to be picked apart by "experts." They were asked to see if they were at fault and they found they were not in their opinion.

It doesn't appear to be the case here but the #1 cause of vehicle fires that we have investigated: thrown piston rod through the engine block because someone didn't change their oil. Sadly, everyone on "our side of the aisle" is jaded toward car fires.

Also, this is completely aside from any recall talk. That is a whole separate issue. And I am not making excuses for Chrysler but I hope this helps understand their actions.
So I just had a call out of the blue from the representative I was dealing with from Chrysler (it was about 10 minutes after I posted the photos to their facebook page). He told me that their report indicated that the cause of the fire was a branch stuck in the undercarriage...

A couple of thoughts from that:
  • This is a direct contradiction of the report from the insurance company stating that the fire burned too hot to determine a cause.
  • If this was indeed the cause, and after seeing the photos and the wreckage does anyone think that enough of a branch could have survived the blaze to determine it as an ignition source?

Is this just Chrysler's attempt to cover their asses?
Old 01-07-2014, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by VETTETHRET
So there's a history of this with the NHTSA involved and all Chrysler have to do is deny it and there's no legal ramifications for these cowards? How many fires do there have to be for a class action lawsuit? This is the NEW America, no corporate responsibility here!
No, but they did weigh the information they found in their investigation and found the issue deniable. OP asked for Chrysler to look into it and they did. OP now has a choice, sue or don't. Yes, the report "may" be obtainable through the discovery process of a lawsuit but that will be long down the road and it will probably be no more conclusive than OP's own insurance hired investigator. So, at the end of the day, OP will have hired a lawyer to get an inconclusive report and is no closer to proving Chrysler liable than he is now.

He will also have to prove real monetary damages and right now that appears to be just the insurance deductible right now; OP cannot sue Chrysler into a recall. A class action lawsuit for a widespread defect usually results in an extended warranty and a payday for the attorneys involved. Chrysler may pay for the actually burned cars but by then, it will be mostly reimbursements to insurance companies. Again, no recall.

NHTSA is the way to get a recall initiated, however inefficient they may be.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jake_jay
Is this just Chrysler's attempt to cover their asses?
Yes, probably.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jake_jay
He told me that their report indicated that the cause of the fire was a branch stuck in the undercarriage...
The picture of the aftermath you linked to the Facebook page makes it look like the undercarriage is sitting on the sand. Not sure how he could possibly see anything underneath.

Sorry you have to go through this but as others have said, glad you are okay!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fallhollow
No, but they did weigh the information they found in their investigation and found the issue deniable. OP asked for Chrysler to look into it and they did. OP now has a choice, sue or don't. Yes, the report "may" be obtainable through the discovery process of a lawsuit but that will be long down the road and it will probably be no more conclusive than OP's own insurance hired investigator. So, at the end of the day, OP will have hired a lawyer to get an inconclusive report and is no closer to proving Chrysler liable than he is now.

He will also have to prove real monetary damages and right now that appears to be just the insurance deductible right now; OP cannot sue Chrysler into a recall. A class action lawsuit for a widespread defect usually results in an extended warranty and a payday for the attorneys involved. Chrysler may pay for the actually burned cars but by then, it will be mostly reimbursements to insurance companies. Again, no recall.

NHTSA is the way to get a recall initiated, however inefficient they may be.
Since you are in the know. Lets say the OPS rig was modified and he had 20k in mods (Suspension,wheels,bumpers ETC).I assume he would be ass out of his 20k since it seems so easy for Chrysler to deny responsibility? I wonder if an attorney could be successful in a lawsuit There are so many rigs on here with a lot of money put into them, outside of the danger of being burned alive, that would be another serious concern.

OP- Since you've posted this today i've done a lot of research about the problem and even with the recalls it seems like Chrysler has accepted ZERO responsibility, I am seriously pissed off about this myself, I cant imagine how you feel. Thank god you didn't have a ton of money into your rig, it would have made the situation much worse! Glad your ok
Old 01-08-2014, 12:47 AM
JK Freak

I have been a Jeep owner since I was 19 yrs old. I now own a 2013 JKU Rubicon, but personally the way Chrysler is going, and the direction Fiat seems to be taking Jeep, it will probably be my last one. Shame really because in my experience Chrysler has pretty much always meant quality(ok, ok, except for the 80's), its sad to see them sinking into the junk pit.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the direction Fiat is taking Jeep? And how does anyone know that?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
What is the direction Fiat is taking Jeep? And how does anyone know that?
This type of stuff would not surprise me at all - 2016 Jeep Wrangler to ditch solid axles to save weight? - Autoblog
Old 01-08-2014, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

"Jumped out to pop the hood and saw quite a bit of red fluid on the sand"

sounds like tranny fuild was the cause.... broken line? to hot boiling out? or to much...??

but I'm no expert... it does suck how companys show a lack of caring...

I had a Toyota catch fire in my driveway .....
Insurance company called me about 2 weeks later and said that there had been a hand full of that model and year catch fire...
never heard anything about it in the news...etc.

did the tranny get serviced before the fire???

thanks for posting this and informing us...
glad your ok..

Quick Reply: 2011 Wrangler Fire - Pics