Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2011 Wrangler Fire - Pics

Old 01-06-2014, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso
Wow Jake, that's scary stuff. Glad no one got hurt. Oddly I had not heard of Jeep related fire problems either (until now). The transmission overheating is a commonly known issue, but who would have thought it could lead to a JK inferno? Anyway, a quick Google search led me to this: Feds expand investigation of Jeep Wrangler fires - CBS News Thanks for posting the info.

Wow, very interesting article. I have a 2011 and this makes me think I should move the fire extinguisher from the rear to the front!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jake_jay
I'm not expecting anything from Chrysler now... Our insurance covered most of the damage.

I am furious with Chrysler as there should be an expectation that when you purchase a new vehicle that it doesn't spontaneously burst into flames during its intended use! Especially while its still covered by a new car warranty.

The reason I'm posting is for visibility and nothing else. I didnt know that this was a pre-existing issue with the JK when I bought it, so if this post saves someone some heartache I'll be happy...
I'm with you man.... just was wondering why you felt that way about compensation.

Sounds like you are settled tho.... so good.

Most important thing is you are okay.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JMcD
Wow! This did have the auto trans right? This kind of stuff should not happen. If no mods were on this vehicle then I wonder what Chrysler thinks caused this? Glad everyone's OK..........
Nope, this was the manual trans
Old 01-06-2014, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh sorry to hear this! The coverup continues .... Hopefully this thread below helps some see the issue. Some good info in there.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...or-mill-228008

Last edited by ToolManTimTaylor; 01-06-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Fire

Originally Posted by HardRooster
Not a defect!? So what, was it destroyed by an alien death ray? You don't need an investigation to know a defect caused that. What non-defect could have possibly caused that in an unmodified vehicle?
Your insurance company should sue Jeep. No reason they should have to pay for that. You either.

I got a recall on my 2012 JKU Sahara. Took it in and found out the transmission cooler lines were okay but the power steering lines needed to be replaced. Problem is is that they didn't have them in stock and were only allocated 1 set per week per dealer. This reminds me that I need to call and check on the status since it has been over two months now,
Old 01-07-2014, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by basketmaker
I got a recall on my 2012 JKU Sahara. Took it in and found out the transmission cooler lines were okay but the power steering lines needed to be replaced. Problem is is that they didn't have them in stock and were only allocated 1 set per week per dealer. This reminds me that I need to call and check on the status since it has been over two months now,
Funny thing is I have been waiting for three months and nothing! This is my third Jeep and may be my last!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:39 PM
JK Freak

Damn... Glad everyone was ok
Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default A little insight

I hate that this is my first post here but I work at a different manufacturer in the exact department that deals with claims like this. As the insurance company investigator said, there was no determined cause and, unfortunately, that is what the Chrysler investigator probably determined: that no defect was determined to be the cause of the "incident." At that point, it becomes a matter of subrogation wherein the insurance company may (at their discretion) sue the manufacturer for reimbursement for the money they paid you as part of your claim. If the insurance company is successful, through court or settlement, you should see your deductible (if any) reimbursed as well.

Sucks that it happened and very well may have been defect related, but it appears a "no fault" incident is an insurance issue. Chrysler is not going to share their report with anyone, which is common practice in the industry, and is not just Chrysler being dicks. Your call to them allowed Chrysler to determine their liability and had something been found definitive, they probably would have just covered it. It is a business and "cost-effective" decisions are made everyday, but they aren't going to give the report out to be picked apart by "experts." They were asked to see if they were at fault and they found they were not in their opinion.

It doesn't appear to be the case here but the #1 cause of vehicle fires that we have investigated: thrown piston rod through the engine block because someone didn't change their oil. Sadly, everyone on "our side of the aisle" is jaded toward car fires.

Also, this is completely aside from any recall talk. That is a whole separate issue. And I am not making excuses for Chrysler but I hope this helps understand their actions.

Last edited by fallhollow; 01-07-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 01-07-2014, 04:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I would get a lawyer and demand to know the results if the report. You could have died or seriously injured and you have a right to know. Sounds like a cover up to me. I'd get all your service records together.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fallhollow
I hate that this is my first post here but I work at a different manufacturer in the exact department that deals with claims like this. As the insurance company investigator said, there was no determined cause and, unfortunately, that is what the Chrysler investigator probably determined: that no defect was determined to be the cause of the "incident." At that point, it becomes a matter of subrogation wherein the insurance company may (at their discretion) sue the manufacturer for reimbursement for the money they paid you as part of your claim. If the insurance company is successful, through court or settlement, you should see your deductible (if any) reimbursed as well.

Sucks that it happened and very well may have been defect related, but it appears a "no fault" incident is an insurance issue. Chrysler is not going to share their report with anyone, which is common practice in the industry, and is not just Chrysler being dicks. Your call to them allowed Chrysler to determine their liability and had something been found definitive, they probably would have just covered it. It is a business and "cost-effective" decisions are made everyday, but they aren't going to give the report out to be picked apart by "experts." They were asked to see if they were at fault and they found they were not in their opinion.

It doesn't appear to be the case here but the #1 cause of vehicle fires that we have investigated: thrown piston rod through the engine block because someone didn't change their oil. Sadly, everyone on "our side of the aisle" is jaded toward car fires.

Also, this is completely aside from any recall talk. That is a whole separate issue. And I am not making excuses for Chrysler but I hope this helps understand their actions.
So there's a history of this with the NHTSA involved and all Chrysler have to do is deny it and there's no legal ramifications for these cowards? How many fires do there have to be for a class action lawsuit? This is the NEW America, no corporate responsibility here!

Quick Reply: 2011 Wrangler Fire - Pics