Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2011 Wrangler Fire - Pics

Old 01-05-2014, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Wrangler Fire - Pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1645
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	521678Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1402
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	521679Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	521680Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1253
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	521681Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1282
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	521682

We were coming home from a morning down at the beach and noticed some black smoke coming from under the hood, there were no warning lights on the dash so I didn’t think it’d be too serious. Jumped out to pop the hood and saw quite a bit of red fluid on the sand… and then the flames under the hood! Jumped on the radio and had a fire extinguisher there within the minute, but it made no difference, the fire just kept going. We tried using our drinking water to get the fire out and then when that didn’t work, we started shovelling sand into the engine bay to try to get the fire out, but it wouldn’t stop. Within 10 minutes the entire engine bay was on fire and after 20 minutes the whole car had gone up.

We contacted our insurance company, who arranged retrieval of the vehicle and then contacted Chrysler, who assured us there would been a full investigation.
Chrysler flew their investigator across the country to take a look at the remains and determine the cause of the fire. After no news for two weeks despite constant phone calls to Chrysler asking for an update the merely told us that the fire wasn’t a manufacturers defect and there was nothing they could do. When I asked what the cause of the fire was I was bluntly told that I “am not privy to that information” and that they were not legally obliged to disclose that information with us.

Our insurance company had already determined the car a write off but after a bit of prodding we convinced them to do their own investigation. Their investigator came to the conclusion that the fire had done too much damage to determine a cause or ignition source

The car was a 2011 Jeep Wrangler which done less than 28,000kms (17,500mi) and still had over a year left on the warranty. The car had no modifications of any kind and had only been serviced by the dealership it was purchased from.

We were absolutely appalled at how we were treated by Jeep. We would have expected that when a product that they sold exploded into a ball of flames there would have been some sympathy, or at least an effort to assist us recuperate our loss, but there was none. We were incredibly lucky that no one was injured in the fire and also that the incident happened in a location where it couldn’t do much damage to the surrounding area.
We were even more shocked to realize that this is a recurring issue with our model of Jeep!!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sorry and upset jeep treated u in that way. Lack of integrity.
Glad u r alright.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not a defect!? So what, was it destroyed by an alien death ray? You don't need an investigation to know a defect caused that. What non-defect could have possibly caused that in an unmodified vehicle?
Your insurance company should sue Jeep. No reason they should have to pay for that. You either.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all... glad to hear you guys are okay. Hopefully the insurance makes things right for you.

But, I do not understand why you are upset with Chrysler over this. I do not believe Chrysler has indemnification spelled out in any literature I have seen and you have insurance; which is a covered loss according to you (assuming you had sufficient coverage).

Why do you believe Chrysler should pay you a second time or maybe I don't understand what you wanted them to do?

I do agree with you that it was shitty that they wouldn't give you the report. Seems odd, but if the ins company didn't feel it was illegal, I am sure it wasn't. The ins company will get out of whatever they can and often at considerable cost.... they know the gambles aren't worth it.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Look up the recent recall!! I bet it has something to do with it. I had a transmission leak caused by the power steering lines rubbing on the trans cooler lines, which cause the fluid, while driving, to spray down the bottom of the Jeep across the exhaust. Right around 18K miles is when mine happen. Hot exhaust trans fluid... FIRE!!!

2012 Jeep Wrangler Recalls & Problems - Motor Trend Magazine

Recall ID # 96662 - STEERING:HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST:HOSE, PIPING, AND CONNECTIONS
Old 01-05-2014, 09:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ABENDX
First of all... glad to hear you guys are okay. Hopefully the insurance makes things right for you.

But, I do not understand why you are upset with Chrysler over this. I do not believe Chrysler has indemnification spelled out in any literature I have seen and you have insurance; which is a covered loss according to you (assuming you had sufficient coverage).

Why do you believe Chrysler should pay you a second time or maybe I don't understand what you wanted them to do?

I do agree with you that it was shitty that they wouldn't give you the report. Seems odd, but if the ins company didn't feel it was illegal, I am sure it wasn't. The ins company will get out of whatever they can and often at considerable cost.... they know the gambles aren't worth it.
I'm not expecting anything from Chrysler now... Our insurance covered most of the damage.

I am furious with Chrysler as there should be an expectation that when you purchase a new vehicle that it doesn't spontaneously burst into flames during its intended use! Especially while its still covered by a new car warranty.

The reason I'm posting is for visibility and nothing else. I didnt know that this was a pre-existing issue with the JK when I bought it, so if this post saves someone some heartache I'll be happy...
Old 01-05-2014, 10:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow Jake, that's scary stuff. Glad no one got hurt.

Oddly I had not heard of Jeep related fire problems either (until now). The transmission overheating is a commonly known issue, but who would have thought it could lead to a JK inferno?

Anyway, a quick Google search led me to this:
Feds expand investigation of Jeep Wrangler fires - CBS News

Thanks for posting the info.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jake_jay

I'm not expecting anything from Chrysler now... Our insurance covered most of the damage.

I am furious with Chrysler as there should be an expectation that when you purchase a new vehicle that it doesn't spontaneously burst into flames during its intended use! Especially while its still covered by a new car warranty.

The reason I'm posting is for visibility and nothing else. I didnt know that this was a pre-existing issue with the JK when I bought it, so if this post saves someone some heartache I'll be happy...
You don't understand why he is upset with Chrysler???? Wow maybe cause he's jeep burnt the hell up and could of killed him or his passengers. I'd be a little more than upset. Straight up pissed. Jake they did you wrong and they should make it right but don't hold your breathe. Glad everyone is ok. Sorry meant to respond to ABENDX

Last edited by rooster1976; 01-06-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:56 AM
JK Newbie

My 2011 COD had the power steering fail and dump all the fluid one day driving home from work with only 6000mls on it lucky this didn't happen
Old 01-06-2014, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow! This did have the auto trans right? This kind of stuff should not happen. If no mods were on this vehicle then I wonder what Chrysler thinks caused this? Glad everyone's OK..........

Quick Reply: 2011 Wrangler Fire - Pics