Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2010 JK Fire 11/27/2011

Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes! Glad everyone was safe.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your loss.

Where I'm from Fire Extinguishers are mandatory by law !
And they get inspected once a year when renewing registration.
Also you get asked about the fire extinguisher at any random police check.
I believe a fire extinguisher would have saved your Jeep.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sapper12b
By the sound of things seems like your wife was about ready to kill you. Personally i would have gone back for the firearms myself, don't want people getting hurt with my bullets because of my dumb ass. I would not have gone back again just to get your cell phone I would have let it go down in flames with the Jeep.
Bullets don't discharge in a fire, they melt/fizz out. That's a Hollywood thing. The cap doesn't pop off like it would when hit with a firing pin - plus even if they did the rounds wouldn't go far or fast.

Sucks the Jeep burned, get the new one yet?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the cause of the fire? My girlfriend has a 2010 with an auto and she is freaking out right now after seeing this.

I don't think she will drive her Jeep much anymore until I find out how to prevent this from happening.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BigMAK1
Bullets don't discharge in a fire, they melt/fizz out. That's a Hollywood thing. The cap doesn't pop off like it would when hit with a firing pin - plus even if they did the rounds wouldn't go far or fast.

Really because all of our 5.56 nato rounds went off when our Light armored vehicle caught on fire from an IED in Iraq. Along with our 50mm rounds.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's a crappy way to get into a 2012. Glad nobody got hurt.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

Sorry for your loss. Now I am glad I put a Fire Extinguisher in mine last November.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default Cause

I believe it was the Auto Transmission overheating. A fire extinguisher would not have helped especially those little ones you stick on a jeeps roll bar. I had not gone off roading that was all paved streets or gravel dirt roads. This is not my 1st jeep, I've owned a 43 ford GPW a 53 Willys, a 70 cj5, a 89 yj, and my 2010 jk. I know my way around Jeeps this is a defect that they need to add a tranny cooler in front on the radiator. Look at the 2012 JK auto's they have a Tranny cooler in front of the Radiator. I wonder why?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BigMAK1

Bullets do discharge in fire, Im a combat veteran and have first hand experience in this. Also as a licensed firearm holder or any person that owns a firearm for that matter, is responsible and held liable for every bullet/ammunition they carry or use in their firearms. So yes, I would have gone back in and risked getting a little burned getting my firearms out, considering the amount of people that i saw standing around in the video. I would prefer to go through the legal battle of getting a JK recovered versus the unintentional death of a bystander who wanted to take video of my burning JK.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
JK Freak

That is crazy. I am glad you're okay. I would have started removing my winch and bumpers and stuff.

Quick Reply: 2010 JK Fire 11/27/2011