Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2008 rubicon build

Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the Genright fuel cell that say is compatible with a Jk pump. It is but they don't tell you the pump has to be modified in several ways.

The wiring and rods have to be extended so the pickups can reach the bottom of the tank. The sending unit float arm has to be modified too. And then it's not going to be 100% accurate. It's more of a universal tank.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1190874764.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	263454   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-461261817.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	263455  
Old 01-13-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeff76
Got the Genright fuel cell that say is compatible with a Jk pump. It is but they don't tell you the pump has to be modified in several ways. The wiring and rods have to be extended so the pickups can reach the bottom of the tank. The sending unit float arm has to be modified too. And then it's not going to be 100% accurate. It's more of a universal tank.
Thanks; I'm watching this closely because I have to figure out what to do with my fuel. Obviously, the old tank has to go. I know Genright has the JK repacement tank that mounts into the rear tub storage area, but I can't use that, because I'm pushing the rear axle back and that tank hangs too low. Also, I live in Cali, which has really tough emissions laws and I want my rig to stay street legal, so I need to make sure that I keep the evap can attached, etc. Anyway, good luck and keep posting pics.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll post up a few pics of how I mod the pump to work with the Genright tank.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

What I had to do to make the stock Jk pump work in the Genright tank.

1. Get rid of the factory rods that hold the pump and housing together. I had to get the pump about 6" lower to sit at the bottom of the tank. I used stainless allthread, nuts, washers for this. Now pump pickups are directly against bottom of tank like they should be.

2. Factory fuel line fitting on top of plastic housing broke when removing the tank. I drilled it out and epoxied Barbed brass fitting in place.

3. Extend wiring that runs from pump to top of housing. I soldered these. This will have to be done for sending unit wires and fuel pump wires, 4 total.

Got it installed, had to cycle the pump on and off several times to get fuel through line to motor. Then it started up with no problem. Sounds pretty funny with the exhaust chopped off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-655903687.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	263873   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-96273353.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	263874   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3715246996.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	263875  
Old 01-14-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Junkie

Nice work on the pump. I've no doubt I will be making the same modification.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CALIJK
Nice work on the pump. I've no doubt I will be making the same modification.
Carolina Truggies can make you a custom tank with no pump mods necessary. It will be about $50 more and will take them 3-4 weeks to build.

Genright doesn't tell you that u need to mod your pump with this tank and you basically just figure it out on your own.

Or you can buy any cell and weld on a filler neck and pump ring to use the factory pump. I should have went this route. I could have saved a few hundred bucks. I spent more on the Genright tank because I was under the impression it was plug and play.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:16 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeff76
Carolina Truggies can make you a custom tank with no pump mods necessary. It will be about $50 more and will take them 3-4 weeks to build. Genright doesn't tell you that u need to mod your pump with this tank and you basically just figure it out on your own. Or you can buy any cell and weld on a filler neck and pump ring to use the factory pump. I should have went this route. I could have saved a few hundred bucks. I spent more on the Genright tank because I was under the impression it was plug and play.
Thanks - I appreciate the heads-up! So, how long until your rig is ready for the trail?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Still have front coilovers to do, hydraulic steering, brakes, driveshafts, exhaust.

Should be ready some time this spring.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just read this whole thread. Great work man! This thing looks awesome, I can only imagine how amazing it will be when it is done. Wish I had the skills the knowledge to do something like this myself. Keep up the good work!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dizk
Just read this whole thread. Great work man! This thing looks awesome, I can only imagine how amazing it will be when it is done. Wish I had the skills the knowledge to do something like this myself. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, it should be alot of fun if I ever get it finished and on the trail. I'm gonna try and make Moab next spring.

Quick Reply: 2008 rubicon build