Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2007 JK transfer case broke

Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by KenB1010
I'm sorry to hear about this. I've been in the same place as well. Vibration in the front driveline seems to be causing the front half of the Tranfer case housing to crack. my front case half was cracked from the input shaft down to the bottom seam of the case. If caught early enough the front case half and the breather vent are the only parts needed to do the repair. if you don't notice the leaking oil then the case fails much like the OP's did.

I was able to find the crack after finding the puddle of oil under the jeep during a pit stop. when I did the repair the entire area around the bearings was spider webbed on the inside of the case.
What did you do to prevent it from happening again?
Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorgan
I have a 2007 jk and the transfer case just blow apart
Could you snap a pic of the front of your tcase? A point brought up previously is that the 07's have a harmonic doo-hicky thing on the front of the case that is supposed to help with the vibes. Just curious to know if you actually have it.

Found the thread, bottom of page 7
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...bration+damper

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-23-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The jeep has a 4' lift and Tom wood driveshafts in it (bought it from dealer lifted )and was looked over by the dealer that I bought it from, that also is the home of Blue Mountain jeep allance
Old 01-24-2011, 03:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Xfer case

What would front pinion angle have to do with a Tcase gernading on the highway?
If it was in 4WD I could see it and the answer is obvious, but I doubt very much he was in 4WD.
Just curious

Thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlarso
What would front pinion angle have to do with a Tcase gernading on the highway?
If it was in 4WD I could see it and the answer is obvious, but I doubt very much he was in 4WD.
Just curious

Thanks
We have live axles, meaning any time the tires are turning, the DS's are turning. Get a DS out of balance turning at a high enough RPM for long enough. Kaboom!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
It has to do with whatever causes the front pinion angle to be more than a very few degrees, when there is a double cardan at the t-case. That double cardan requires the pinion angle to be as close to zero as you can get it.

If you get drive line vibes that get worse at highway speeds, it's a time bomb.
This is confusing (the pinion at 0 degrees). You want the pinion pointed towards the transfer case. A stock axle has 6 degrees angular separation between caster axis and pinion, my PR 44 has 10. I run 6.25 degrees caster and 3.75 degrees pointed up towards the transfer case. What you mean is as little angle as posible between pinion and driveshaft angle isn't it? With still enough caster that you don't wander all over the road.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
This is confusing (the pinion at 0 degrees). You want the pinion pointed towards the transfer case. A stock axle has 6 degrees angular separation between caster axis and pinion, my PR 44 has 10. I run 6.25 degrees caster and 3.75 degrees pointed up towards the transfer case. What you mean is as little angle as posible between pinion and driveshaft angle isn't it? With still enough caster that you don't wander all over the road.

That is the definition of pinion angle.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

When the rear driveshaft is removed the vibration dampener is also removed. Why is the front driveshaft the culprit in this case.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a Rubicon?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

It would seem the aftermarket would pick up on this and figure it out. Why cant you convert the driveshaft flange into something similar to the crankcase vibration damper pulley? It seems Chrysler knows something about this transfer case that we dont. Why would they put a vibration damper on the rear driveshaft on a rzeppa joint? The true contstance velocity rzeppa should counteract any vibes from the single carden joint at the diff. The 2007 model had a vibration damper in the front, but stopped it looks like with the 2008 models and on.

Last edited by Ryanc; 01-24-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 JK transfer case broke