Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

20" Wheel Club

Old 03-02-2009, 03:01 PM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you guys amaze me... Does it make you guys feel better to sh*t all over the guy because you don't like the idea of 20's on a JK??? Sad and childish to day the least... If you don't like 20's on a JK, then don't come into this thread, period..
Old 03-02-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gonna put some 24"-30" rims on this summer.....
Old 03-02-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Those 40's look great on 20's cool how much lift do you need to clear 40"s haha
Old 03-02-2009, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rws
Some of you guys amaze me... Does it make you guys feel better to sh*t all over the guy because you don't like the idea of 20's on a JK??? Sad and childish to day the least... If you don't like 20's on a JK, then don't come into this thread, period..
i guess it makes em feel tough. whats funny is one of the baddest jks on the planet is rollin on 20s, and that would be mel's from ore. his 20s seem to do just fine off road.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Mel is a poser and should be made fun of. At least according to some of the people who've posted in this thread. lol
Old 03-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by norcalJK
i guess it makes em feel tough. whats funny is one of the baddest jks on the planet is rollin on 20s, and that would be mel's from ore. his 20s seem to do just fine off road.
Not to mention OC. Rock on with your Cragars, e-thugs.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rws
It is difficult for a lot of us to swallow because the JK is attracting a line of customers that would have not previously thought about owning a wrangler. Jeeps were born with 4x4 and up until 2007 were only offered with 4x4. This limited sales to a certain type of customer. These guys build jeeps to take them offroad and 20" wheels are simply not wanted because of cost and likehood of getting damaged.

We don't want to see our beloved jeep turn into what the hummer has become. A street only driven 4x4 with large rims and street tires is pointless to a crew of people who build these jeeps to serve a purpose. So 20+ inch wheels on one of the best 4x4s ever built is a sin, plain and simple. If you the kind of person that thinks a jeep like this http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/1051331150.html looks good then you are just not going to be popular here. Sorry.

Another reason guys don't like large rims is because we usually let a lot of air out of the tires when going off road for added traction. When you air the tires down you give the tires a chance to wrap around rocks and other obsticles which gives a lot more grip. If you take a 35" tire wrapped in a 20" rim that does not leave you much sidewall to wrap around an obsticle. Take a 35" on a 15" to 17" rim and then its a different story. With that said 20" wrapped in 37" to 40" tires meets the functional requirement in my opinion.

That's my $.02 on the subject. Flame away.

Last edited by Dizzyliz; 03-03-2009 at 08:50 AM. Reason: removed hyperlink
Old 03-02-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mattb2179
It is difficult for a lot of us to swallow because the JK is attracting a line of customers that would have not previously thought about owning a wrangler. Jeeps were born with 4x4 and up until 2007 were only offered with 4x4. This limited sales to a certain type of customer. These guys build jeeps to take them offroad and 20" wheels are simply not wanted because of cost and likehood of getting damaged.

We don't want to see our beloved jeep turn into what the hummer has become. A street only driven 4x4 with large rims and street tires is pointless to a crew of people who build these jeeps to serve a purpose. So 20+ inch wheels on one of the best 4x4s ever built is a sin, plain and simple. If you the kind of person that thinks a jeep like this http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/1051331150.html looks good then you are just not going to be popular here. Sorry.

Another reason guys don't like large rims is because we usually let a lot of air out of the tires when going off road for added traction. When you air the tires down you give the tires a chance to wrap around rocks and other obsticles which gives a lot more grip. If you take a 35" tire wrapped in a 20" rim that does not leave you much sidewall to wrap around an obsticle. Take a 35" on a 15" to 17" rim and then its a different story. With that said 20" wrapped in 37" to 40" tires meets the functional requirement in my opinion.

That's my $.02 on the subject. Flame away.
Your post doesn't need any flaming. And disliking 20" rims for their lack of practicality offroad isn't in itself bad, but some folks have made blanket statements that border on the ridiculous. That being said, I've never been one to get riled up over someone disliking my rims or any other mod, since I built my JK for my enjoyment not someone elses. I figure when someone is paying for my mods I'll care about their opinion, but until then I welcome all criticism if I ask for an opinion.

Last edited by Dizzyliz; 03-03-2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: removed hyperlink
Old 03-02-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

The point here is obviously functionality. Scott there has obviously only improved it with his 20's... looks at all that sidewall, the way it needs to be. Someone said it earlier and its a good rule of thumb to follow... at a maximum, wheel diameter = 50% of the tire diameter, so 32-33" tire = 16" rim, 34-35"=17" rim, 36-39"=18" wheel, 40"+ = 20" wheels. Just a general guideline, and hey, if you like 35s on 20's, to each his own, but the fact of the matter is it will not perform nearly as well off road as 35's on a 16" wheel. There is no need to bash on anyone who wants these big rims, but at the same time this is obviously an off road forum and people are looking at functionality... and not a lot of people are running tires big enough to make 20" wheels functional.

BTW Scott, looks bad ass man, good flex!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for the nice words

Originally Posted by norcalJK

here are some 20s

[

22?

I like the look and feel of 20s when you are running 40s and bigger I haven't had any problems wheeling.

Mel

Quick Reply: 20" Wheel Club