Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2.5 Rockwells?

Old 11-27-2009, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rubious
sounds like a big waste of $$$ to me

50's not a big tire selection, and a daily driver, good luck with that. sounds like it will be a trailer queen to me, make sure u have a HUGE winch and snatch blocks to help flop that monster back on all 4's
Nothing I own is a trailer QUEEN, I have owned my Chopper since 06 and even that isn't one it has only been on a trailer one time due to my neighboor not having the endorsement and not knowing how to ride it to the shop.now as for my JK to the best of my knowledge it has only been on a trailer once and thats from the factory to the dealership with 3 miles on it when I picked it up. I ride my vehicles hard and take good care of them. This Build that I have started this thread on is basically asking peoples oppinions if they would go this route. Yes it does sound rediculous however it could be possible. Now as for the Cummins yeah thats a different story but why not as the hemi's are being swapped and with a rig that has Rocks under it would be able to hold the weight and some substaintial modification and fabrication will need to be done but why wouldn't the Cummins be able to be swapped with the same or newer year engine. The computer would have to be programmed the same way as the Hemi and it is a mopar vehicle it would be comming out of.

Not saying that this would be happening or that I even plan on it. My goal was to find out if anyone has thought of doing the Rockwells. Now That I was introduced to the Atomic Axles which are sweet but I need more info on them as to how they are built inside the drops. and the weight of them.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

if you do go with rockwells, and i wouldn't blame u if you did i'd run 44's or something along those lines just so your not THAT HIGH. and i agree 100% those atomic axles are SWEET but way to much green for me, i'd like to see someone run those b/c i haven't heard anything on them.

what size cummins are you wanting to go with? i think getting the motor to fit will be your biggest problem. i'm not one with the hemi craz, i'll keep my wee lil 3.8, b/c the way i look at it if a yota can crawl with 60 hp, i know this lil motor can do it.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are only going to be doing moderate offroading, why on earth would you wan't 50 inch tires? Not to mention tires that large are HORRIBLE on the street.

There was a stretched 4dr TJ that was run in TTC, here is a photo of it. Its nothing I would EVER wan't to drive on the street.

Last edited by Stuka; 11-27-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mutts08JK
Nothing I own is a trailer QUEEN, I have owned my Chopper since 06 ............... My goal was to find out if anyone has thought of doing the Rockwells. ..............
Simple answer is yes. But this is an example of something that has crossed my mind a lot. WHY???

I'm all about building custom items to do a specific job. When do you cross the line?? What line? From a reasonable course to lunacy. I too love to modify to get more capability but when you end up destroying a perfectly good on road vehicle in the process. That is throwing money up a wild hog's a$$.

First off decide what you want the vehicle for then pick the best platform. There is a point that it is better to just build a cage from scratch than take a 20K-40K street legal vehicle and use nothing but the front grill. You have decribed mods that are very awesome for offroad fun but are in direct contrast to a DD.

Now if you want to buy some POS and cut it up all to hell go for it. It may be the most financially reasonable way.

My suggestion is keep your JK for DD and build this exotic crawler as a trailered toy. And if you are thinking you only have money for one vehicle then you don't have the jack to build anything anyway.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd have to say that you COULD put a JK on Rockwells and 50 inch tires...but you would spend a lot of money and waste a lot of time to get something that MIGHT work. Even if it does work, it will be be an awful DD.

I'm with the rest of the folks here. If you want something on Rockwells and 50's, then build something on Rockwells and 50's...just don't expect it to be a rig that you'll want to drive on pavement. You may be able to make it "streetable" enough to legally get to and from the place where you're going to wheel it, but it's never going to be practical for DD duties.

Then again, it's your Jeep and your money...so do whatever makes you happy.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

I've been thinking the same thing. won't be as nimble as 44's or 60's but the COG could be lower depending on the final ride hight. you could have more weight in the axles and tires than rest of the jeep. I would'nt shy away from the bigger tires either , with that much gear you need em. the military style are'nt the best on a light vehicle though, traction is little sketchy on wet road. sure you know that. good luck
Old 11-28-2009, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

Post some pics when your done. If had money to do that kind of build, I'd probably use it to make paper planes. Your money! Wish I could add expertise, but I'm one level inder your expectatons. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

daily driver??? what about the ESP and ABS? I suggest you go with Atomic (assuming they have addressed) or Dynatrac ProRock 60s (includes appropriate sensors).
Old 12-06-2009, 01:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why the rockwells instead of the 60's money factor, the rockwells can be easily picked up cheap, the 60's are expensive as wells as the exotic Atomics. My goal was to brainstorm the different things that could be done. Yeah I know considering the fact that some people would hate to use such an extreme vehicle for a dd but I am no ordinary person I am how would you say oh like my friends say "SPECIAL" lol. I am not handicapped in anyway to the best of my knowledge I just have an odd way of thinking and to have something like that that was street legal I would make it a dd as it would be bad ass. We drive these roads everyday and when we something that has huge tires and is lifted we think or atleast I do That is is Kick ass I wish my JK was that high or I wish my (enter vehicle) was like that. To see a DD jk on 50's people would def get out of your way and when you stop people would be asking so do you ever take that off road? But not so much as a conversational piece but to have it is to love it and if you have a stressful day you can always make the turn off the ashphault and on to the dirt road you haven't traveld yet.

Will I build my JK like what I described maybe maybe not depends on if I have the resources. Yeah the Engine would need to be compatible. and other mods would need to be done but it isn't hard to get an aftermarket ABS ring for the hub on the rockwells or to adapt the ESP to work with the brakes either. And with the wet roads and driving it all boils down the the actual skill set and experience one has to drive in inclement weather. just like driving a 2wheel drive vehicle in sand can it be done yes can anyone do it yes if they know how to and have the paitence and knowledge to do so. just like driving in snow, mud, and on the highways. Who knows if I get bored when I get home I just might build my JK that way.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the short answer is yes u can. its your rig, your payment, do what u like.
the long answer requires another question...why? upgrading a vehicle makes it purpose built, what is your purpose for it.
well built dana 60's would be better all around for moderate to heavy wheeling and still be quite streetable.
rockwells are....welll....not.
limited aftermarket for wheels, lockers/posi units, brake parts, etc.
lotta guys around here use rockwells for mud trucks, with big block power plants and they loose some more power to drivetrain resistance which has increased with the rockwells. keep that in mind for the mightymouse v6 jeep gave us to work with. bigger is not always better, sometimes its just bigger. depends on the intended purpose.

on a side note, it would look very mean and cool but i wouldnt want to ride in it. if u do it i want pics for my thats crazy and cool screensaver.

Quick Reply: 2.5 Rockwells?