Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

2.5" or 3" teraflex lift with 35's ??

Old 02-02-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So with two doors go with a 2.5 correct? because with 3 inches you'd need a new drive shaft?
Old 02-03-2011, 12:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

with the 2 doors i would stick with the 2.5" coil kits... 35" tires look great on the 2 doors.

with the 4 doors i would stick with the 2.5" coil kits assuming i was 100% sure i was never going to get 37's.... 37's on the 4 doors do look nice and obviously serve an offroad function for the hardcore crawlers. In that case I think I would just get a 4" complete kit with adj. front lca and trackbar and be prepared to replace both driveshafts when they go, lol...

point is... if your not going to go over 35" tires... stick with the 2.5" lift kits from what i have gathered.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wrangler_Jay
with the 2 doors i would stick with the 2.5" coil kits... 35" tires look great on the 2 doors.

with the 4 doors i would stick with the 2.5" coil kits assuming i was 100% sure i was never going to get 37's.... 37's on the 4 doors do look nice and obviously serve an offroad function for the hardcore crawlers. In that case I think I would just get a 4" complete kit with adj. front lca and trackbar and be prepared to replace both driveshafts when they go, lol...

point is... if your not going to go over 35" tires... stick with the 2.5" lift kits from what i have gathered.
This also seems to be the consensus that I have read. I have a 4 door auto and I plan on getting the 2.5 coil with shock adapters. I think the lift and 35s look great on the four door and increase my ground clearance. I don't need crazy offroad performance, just a lil boost.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by apeezee
This also seems to be the consensus that I have read. I have a 4 door auto and I plan on getting the 2.5 coil with shock adapters. I think the lift and 35s look great on the four door and increase my ground clearance. I don't need crazy offroad performance, just a lil boost.
yup... its definitely something people should strongly consider before they put bigger lifts and tires on. Bigger the lift and tire the more stress you are putting on the suspension components and more likely you are going to need to replace other suspension components.

I am new to jeep's but from my days of working on Mustang suspensions I came to a theory about all suspensions in general: " Suspensions are like domino's lined up, once you change one variable in the row all it takes is for one domino to fall and the rest start falling with it".

Once one suspension component craps out on you due to other modified suspension components resulting in extra stress, misaligned geometry, etc... its almost guaranteed you are going to need to replace other suspension parts as well to get everything right again.

And it sounds like to me you fair a better "chance" of not having parts crap out on you is if you stick with 2.5" lift or less with max tires at 35".

From what I have gathered 4" lifts and 37" + tires really take their toll on the wear and tear of the suspension in general and you add any kind of rock crawling to that and it makes sense your suspension is going to have a broken part or two every here and there.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

I vote for the 2.5"! I'm very happy with mine on 35's!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Build Phase 1 (29).jpg
Views:	240
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	124272  
Old 02-03-2011, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

I have been asking myself the same question... do I go with the 2.5" coil lift or the 3"? Great thread, thanks for all of the info. For those of you with the 2.5" Teraflex coil lift, did you upgrade your trackbar, get new lower control arms.. anything? Or was it pretty much good to go as is? I have a 4dr and I will be running 35s and have no intention of going bigger anytime soon.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will say the 2door is suited for the 2.5 but I think the 4 door looks better with the 3" kit
Old 02-03-2011, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mac6898
I have been asking myself the same question... do I go with the 2.5" coil lift or the 3"? Great thread, thanks for all of the info. For those of you with the 2.5" Teraflex coil lift, did you upgrade your trackbar, get new lower control arms.. anything? Or was it pretty much good to go as is? I have a 4dr and I will be running 35s and have no intention of going bigger anytime soon.
I'm running 2.5 coil lift and not anything else. I find the kit pretty good as is for a lifted jeep on 35's. Although I don't daily drive my jeep so my tolerences are probably a little higher.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

I did do both Front and Rear track bars with axle side braces too. All JKS.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Do the 3" that's what I had done with 35s
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1469749697.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	125258  

Quick Reply: 2.5" or 3" teraflex lift with 35's ??