Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

12 Rubicon vs 14 Rubicon

Old 11-09-2014, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 12 Rubicon vs 14 Rubicon

Not sure if this goes here. Sorry if it doesn't. I am pondering changing up and getting a new jeep. I have a couple of options and was curious on opinions. I kind of know which way I want to go however I just want to make sure I am not missing anything in regards to the different years. I am looking at a 12 rubicon 410 gears 6 speed manual hardtop. 24x miles. Other option is a 14 rubicon 373 gears automatic less than 1k miles. So I have always had a stick. Love them however automatic kinda sounds nice as well but 373 gears and auto scares me. I am leaning towards the 12. Any reason not to? I have a 12 sport manual currently. Plan is a 2-3 inch lift 35's. I have a gobi rack on order for current jeep so I am thinking auto 373 would need regearing due to it being an auto. Pricing is close between them due to other options on 12 that 14 doesn't happen. Is there any reason I should look at 14 besides being 2 years newer? Thanks for the input.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wait for the illusive Eco diesel in 2016/2017. Worth the wait if it actually goes into production. I told myself I won't by another jk until the Eco or the hemi comes out.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

It would be easy enough to regear the 14, and you might not want 4:10s with 35s, you might end up wanting 4:56's. Or you could just invest into your current 12, why not? You already own it and you could spend what you are going to be spending on either of those rubicons on gears, lift, tires and wheels anyway. The only reason to get a rubicon is if you want an unmodified rubicon setup, otherwise use the money to upgrade a sport.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are trading this soon, does that mean you trade often or after a short time? If so, I would go with the 2014 simply because it's newer and an Auto. Both of which will gain you mush more trade-in later. If you are financing, the '14 might get you lower interest rates being that it's a current model year.

I don't think the 3.6 with 3.73's, auto , and 35's will be a dog. Especially off road where you can utilize the 4;1 Rubi transfer case
Old 11-09-2014, 09:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are trading this soon, does that mean you trade often or after a short time? If so, I would go with the 2014 simply because it's newer and an Auto. Both of which will gain you much more trade-in later. If you are financing, the '14 might get you lower interest rates being that it's a current model year.

I don't think the 3.6 with 3.73's, auto , and 35's will be a dog. Especially off road where you can utilize the 4;1 Rubi transfer case
Old 11-10-2014, 12:16 AM
JK Freak

Go with the 14 and the auto. All of my previous Wranglers were stick until I bought my first JKU in 2012 which was and auto. Of course I could not be happy with that, and wanted a Rubicon with a manual. Well personally I love the manual but do not like the crappy clutch that is in it. Before all of you manual lovers(myself included) jump up and tell me I just dont know how to drive a manual, let me just state the following. I learned to drive on a manual and most of my cars and 4x4's(5 of which have been Jeeps), I have never had to replace a clutch, the one time I did, was for the sole purpose of upgrading to a Centerforce II. I drive a manual the way it is supposed to be driven, and i gear down to slow down and stop. Which seems to be a lost art form these days. I swapped the clutch at 120k and there was minimal wear. This new clutch on my 2013 makes me wish for the auto back. Actually I just realized it might not be the clutch, it might be dealing with the car engine in a vehicle that used to
have torquey, stump pullin', low revvin' inline 6 motors in it.

Last edited by RedRockJeeper; 11-10-2014 at 12:28 AM.