Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

1 Day, $2,100, 1 20lb Turkey, 1 (or many) mouse- and I still need help!

Old 04-18-2015, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 Day, $2,100, 1 20lb Turkey, 1 (or many) mouse- and I still need help!

So, I've been searching for a new soft top for the last year or so for my '13 JKU. Bought it with the painted hardtop and didn't order it so I didnt have the dual top option. I bought a top for a 2010, and have used that since summer of '13 but spring assist and moreso the premium fabric has teased me- I drive 20k a year as my JKU is my work vehicle- and premium fabric for both climate and sound obsessed me!

Fast forward to earlier this week- Find not only someone who is fine with a top from 2010 (still to be delivered), but someone with a premium unused from a '13 dual top group. Only issue is that its 4 hrs away. I shoot it down at first, but after scouring more and more, I dont want to pay $1500-$1700 for one from Mopar, bestop or Qtec. So, what the heck---

Friday morning I ask my 3 yr old if he wants to go on adventure? Of course he does- pre-K or adventure? Adventure Dad!
So we load up the JKU with ourselves and some drinks and snacks- and head west.
All is going well, until about a mile and a half from the sellers place.

Out of nowhere
a Turkey (turkey vulture maybe) comes flying at us from the right side. We are on a "highway", not a backroad, but only doing about 55.
Darn thing freaks us both out, smacks into the passenger mirror bounces back and gone-
As we were on this "highway" I just wanted to get to the sellers- and seeing my son was ok, I thought we'd be fine.
So we get there and I walk around the front of the Jeep. Check out the mirror- its folded back, but not broken or anything.
Check the front quarter- nothing. Check the front passenger door- nothing.
Finally get to my sons door- Huge dent- and blood and guts, and what I can assume is the waddle.
And to top it off, cant get the door open (later realized the child lock must have been damaged so I can open from inside, but not out- the handle it broke).

Seller and a friend cant believe it. I cant either- but what can you do?
Being in insurance, I know ive got a $1,000 deductible and one door skin alone will eat that up.
If it wasnt the vehicle I use for work or carry my kids, I'd say ef it and get something cool, but I need by doors.

So after chit chatting and all, we get to the top. Just as he said- still in the boxes- surrounds still in the plastic. Top and frame still buttoned in the protective cover, still has the orange tape around. We settle up and then my son and I grab a bite and start the 4 hr ride home.
Normally, Id be pissed about the damage, but Ive got the new premium top Ive longed for, and its brand new- who could ask for more.

So, get home and after telling the "turkey" story another 5 times, my wife heads out for mom's night and the kids and I settle in for a movie (Who knew a 7yr old and 3 yr old would love Avatar so much!)

This morning after softball practice- Im my daughters coach for 7U , and some brunch, the skies are clear and its 75 degrees. And I figured out that the door WOULD open- otherwise, no hoisting the top!
Off to the car wash to rid the JKU of its "turkeyness" and a good clean and wax to the hard top.
Get home, have to move the hoists positions slightly for better access, get the top removed and hoisted- all done in about 2 hrs.

Overly excited to get the new top on. Get the surrounds on and get everything tightened down. Grab the top and try to fasten to the rear roll bar- oops, somethings not right. The brackets from the 2010 wont work, and cant seem to get the new assist bows to fasten- off to the internet.
So determined that the seller must have left the brackets on his wifes Jeep and I dont have any. So, a call to 3-4 dealers, and none have the parts. One tells me Qtec should so I go online and place an order. crisis averted- or so I think.
Go back out and just want to see how the top lays- wife undoes the snaps, and removes the "cover". I begin to pull it forward and all this "dirt" starts falling on me. She gets all freaked out that its mouse poop- and shes right. gross, but whatever- this is my new top!
Then she reveals my horror. Its not large, but large enough to make me angry- and lost. Nice mousey's have eaten a small coaster size hole just above the rear driver side window. Not only cant I put the top on- now when I do someones gonna get wet!

So, $1,000 insurance deductible, $1,100 for a BRAND NEW premium top, days to deal with a body shop, $45 at Qtec for parts- and in the end, still left with a hole in a top, that I'm wondering why GOD is punishing me!

If anyone knows a fix- an idea- anything- I'm all for it!
The seller of course is MIA- but honestly, I cant fault him- he didnt place a mouse there. But as my wife says, if it was me, I'd give some of the money back. A mouse didnt crawl in the top on my watch!

Help guys- not trying to buy a $1,000 replacement top and insurance agent isnt sure that mouse eating will be covered (especially due to the stinkin turkey attack!)

and yes, I know, pics or it didnt happen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3935.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	607014Attachment 607015Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3935.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	607014Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3937.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	607016Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3938.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	607017Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3941.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	607018Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1256171847.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	607019Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3938.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	607017Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3941.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	607018
Old 04-18-2015, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have to say that is quite a story. If it was me, I would go after the guy you bought the top from, give the top back and try to get your money back, especially if you paid anything even close to retail. I don't know anything about how you would fix that hole beside patching it, but do you want an ugly patch on your new top and Jeep. If the guy you bought it from is any kind of decent person, he should give you your money back. Most people who have that kind of mice damage know they have mice around.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well that's quite a story! Something for the kids to laugh about later. I can't offer any advice, but I can offer my sympathy.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wold definitely get my money back. That sucks.

sent from my work leash
Old 04-18-2015, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

So- I've emailed and called the seller. Nothing. And of course being CG, it was paid in cash.
What recourse does one even have?
Old 04-18-2015, 06:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd keep trying. He should have opened top to inspect prior to selling but so should you prior to paying. Would still get my money
Old 04-18-2015, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

If all else fails, you could always drive back to the guys house if that's where you met him. It might be awkward, but it's an option.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Need to find a day to drive another 8 hrs round trip. And then figure out what I say to the seller at the halfway point?!
Heard someone mention patch- is that possible on a premium top?
Old 04-19-2015, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

The only thing I have ever patched is an inner tube, a waterbed, and the canvas on a popup camper. The 2 things they all had in common are they all looked goofy and they were all functional. I would think if you had material and some strong adhesive that you could make a patch for it. You might also check with an upholstery shop to see if they have a way they could mend it somehow.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:56 AM
JK Junkie

Can you say that the top was damaged when you hit the turkey and therefore use your deductible to get a new top and door fixed?

Quick Reply: 1 Day, $2,100, 1 20lb Turkey, 1 (or many) mouse- and I still need help!