Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

$45 Off-road driving lights

Old 08-25-2007, 09:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was thinking the same thing with some KC highlights on the stock bumper. how are they pilot offroad lights though? are they pretty bright at night or comparable to the headlights?
Old 08-25-2007, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Glad to see another Radio Operator :-)
DE
N5BSD

Finished installation on stock bumper.

[/QUOTE]
Old 08-25-2007, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Question

I'm getting a new bump soon.
Can the factory fog light wires be converted and used with an off road lights?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chocky
I'm getting a new bump soon.
Can the factory fog light wires be converted and used with an off road lights?

Chocky, I don't see any reason why you couldn't convert the factory fog light wires for use with different off road lights. The only thing that I would caution, is that the factory fogs are 42 watt bulbs. If you use some other high intensity or high wattage bulb, you would likely blow the circuit all the time if it was much higher than factory wattage. So I would recommend getting a different wiring harness if the bulb wattage you want is much higher. But any 50 watt bulb or less could easily replace the factory fog lights with no problem.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Hoovis thanks for the info!
With this info I will proably buy thr PJ stubby that excepts the factory fogs.
Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2007, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chocky
Hoovis thanks for the info!
With this info I will proably buy thr PJ stubby that excepts the factory fogs.
Thanks again!
You are quite welcome. Obviously, I think that is a good choice, as that is what I did. :-) If you buy the non-winch PJ stubby, you almost have to use the factory fogs, unless you want to fabricate something yourself to mount aftermarket lights. (I don't know of another light that has the same 4 mounting screws and location as the factory ones, and the PJ stubby is specifically designed for this fog light).

Since my Wrangler did not come with factory fog lamps, I bought the factory fogs from another forum member who didn't need them (he had the PJ stubby with winch mount). So for another $30 or so for all the wiring harness and supplies, I was able to get factory fogs very inexpensively. And personally, I prefer the separate switch tied to the ignition, so I can still use them independently as well as with or without high beams. But if yours came equipped with fog lamps, it isn't worth the hassle to change it. It is only worth the extra effort to tap into the ignition if you are already wiring some other lights.

Glad I could be of some help.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
i was thinking the same thing with some KC highlights on the stock bumper. how are they pilot offroad lights though? are they pretty bright at night or comparable to the headlights?
i went with a pair of KCs the same way...

Old 08-25-2007, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Hoovis thanks again, you sumed up my thoughts perfectrly!
Old 09-06-2007, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

Do you guys have any links to the complete writes your talking about for installing these headlights, my JK is set to be delivered in a few weeks, and this is one of the first mods I want to do (with a cheaper set of lights)
Old 09-06-2007, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by REL1203
Do you guys have any links to the complete writes your talking about for installing these headlights, my JK is set to be delivered in a few weeks, and this is one of the first mods I want to do (with a cheaper set of lights)
What specifically do you have in mind? This thread has two complete write-ups; one for after market fogs and one for factory fogs.

Quick Reply: $45 Off-road driving lights