Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

What equipment do you carry, and how?

Old 04-26-2012, 03:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NorthwestTJ
I got a Cyclops spot light off of amazon for about $40. It has 2 modes: spot light, which has 3 very bright LEDs i think which shine pretty far; and the second mode is just 6 little LED bulbs for looking around. The battery lasts for awhile so i just keep it in the back seat. Also not super huge and clunky, it has a nice pistol grip on it and feels pretty nice and durable when you are holding it.

Snapped a few picks in the garage of it.

Pretty nice. Definitely on my "to get" list. I'm going out with some buddies this afternoon and with threat of rain we could find ourselves in a situation where it could be useful. I may need to follow up on this...
Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow I really like that setup Rodcyn, I saw those brackets advertised but never new how well they would work looks great.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Extremehabit

Pretty nice. Definitely on my "to get" list. I'm going out with some buddies this afternoon and with threat of rain we could find ourselves in a situation where it could be useful. I may need to follow up on this...
Its more useful than I thought it would be, it has a lock switch so it will keep the light on without holding the trigger. It really lights up the undercariage if youre underneath working or under the hood. Its also just fun to play with. Definently worth the money!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RodCyn
I carry recovery gear, some spare parts, and tools. The left 8-gallon tub carries the recovery gear and spares, while the one on the right carries the tools. The nice thing about this setup, is that it's temporary. If needed, remove a couple of nuts and I can put in the back seat.

im so stealing this idea.

i just ordered an 8 gallon action pack from amazon to see how big it is. i think i may do a combo like this with a big and small action pack instead of two 8 gallon packs.

damn good job on this. looks killer.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some have asked for some more photos of the construction. Although I didn't take any when I made this, here are some taken yesterday showing some of how it was constructed. It's constructed out of aluminum so it's fairly lightweight

I wanted to use existing mounting points to make it clean and removable

Here's a view of the bottom of the platform. Showing the legs/mounting points. It's raised a bit
for bolt clearance.

The front leg was formed/bent from some scrap aluminum. After finding the right amount of
bend, it was welded to the bottom of the platform (friend did the welding)

The same went for the rear mounting points. These are secured to the seat belt bolts/mounting

How the front legs insert to the mounting points. They are pretty snug for a rattle free fit

The rears attached/mounted to the seat belt posts/bolts

The bin installed.

Last edited by RodCyn; 04-28-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

Some have asked for some more photos of the construction. Although I didn't take any when I made this, here are some taken yesterday showing some of how it was constructed. It's constructed out of aluminum so it's fairly lightweight

I wanted to use existing mounting points to make it clean and removable

Here's a view of the bottom of the platform. Showing the legs/mounting points. It's raised a bit
for bolt clearance.

The front leg was formed/bent from some scrap aluminum. After finding the right amount of
bend, it was welded to the bottom of the platform (friend did the welding)

The same went for the rear mounting points. These are secured to the seat belt bolts/mounting

How the front legs insert to the mounting points. They are pretty snug for a rattle free fit

The rears attached/mounted to the seat belt posts/bolts

The bin installed.
This thing is badass!! The pics really don't do it justice. After seeing it in person that is.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:21 AM
JK Junkie

That's a fine pece of craftsmanship and construction!

Matthew
Old 04-28-2012, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Love the storage setup.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tow straps, air tank, tire repair, cb and some good indo
Old 04-28-2012, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

The bin installed.
man, thats a very VERY slick setup you have. great job on fabbing that all up. im sure mine will not turn out nearly that nice.

if you dont mind my asking what bracket / mount is that there for the power tank? i have went back and forth on compressed air setup or a co2 tank and i think im leaning towards the co2.

Quick Reply: What equipment do you carry, and how?