Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

What equipment do you carry, and how?

Old 04-25-2012, 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good idea for a thread.* Even with a 4-door there's not a lot of storage space and securing them properly is a challenge, so more creative ideas are always welcome.

- In a 10x23" Lockbox bolted to the trunk floor is the winch kit, chains, straps, snatch block, jumper cables, camping belt with assorted gear, and a foldable saw.
- In the 8" space between lockbox and rears seats is a full sized axe that is ratchet strapped to the lockbox side handles, and a spare pair of hiking boots.
- Wedged snug in the space on the right of lockbox and infront of rear wheelwell is an aluminum tool box carrying every tool needed, plus extra fuses, bolts and spare parts (the Duster and trunk cargo tray above keep the toolbox from becoming a rollover missile)
- On top of the tool box is roll of carpet and fold-up traction pads for sand or mud extraction.
- Fire extinguisher is mounted to the rear rollbar.
- Tuffy concealed carry drawer under drivers seat.
- Maps and misc stuff in the center console.
- Engine oil and tubs of hand wipes are under the passenger seat.
- Winch controller and first aid kit are in the glove box.
- Stuffed under the rear seats is a foldable shovel, bag of food snacks, bottled water, 12-volt water boiler for coffee anywhere, ponchos and spare clothes and a warm jacket.
- When camping, an Engel fridge sits locked on the trunk cargo tray.
- 60" High-Lift on the rear bumper.
- LED metal flashlight secured in plastic mounts, screwed to driver side of dash console.

Probably other stuff that I've forgotten where...
Old 04-25-2012, 04:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have my packing list handy but some of the things I have packed...duct tape (gorilla tape), silicone rescue tape, waterless hand cleaner, fix a flat plus a tire repair kit, medium size tarp, bungee cords, pretty gnarly first aid kit put together by my wife, including steri strips, Benadryl, Imodium, saline eye wash and a spare box of contact lenses

radiator repair gunk, complete change of clothes including cold and warm weather and wet weather clothing and footwear

Couple gallons of water plus a box of granola bars, flashlights plus headlamp and spare batteries, butane soldering iron plus solder and electrical tape

Standard set of socket and regular wrenches in english, metric and torx plus leather man tool

Zip ties and stainless bailing wire

That and I belong to a club so there are a dozen or so other people with crazy stuff like welders and huge tool kits

I always try to be self sufficient and hope to have that one thing someone else needs but didn't bring...

Matthew
Old 04-25-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Extremehabit
jeepers, where did you get that spot light? i need one. thanks!
Ha! I was looking for a place to smoke late one weekend and drive to the lake by our house. Drove down to the boat ramp and it was standing, with the light on, in the middle of the parking lot. I looked at it for awhile while I smoked. No one was there and no boats in the water. I took it.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RodCyn
I carry recovery gear, some spare parts, and tools. The left 8-gallon tub carries the recovery gear and spares, while the one on the right carries the tools. The nice thing about this setup, is that it's temporary. If needed, remove a couple of nuts and I can put in the back seat.

VERY NICE setup! Good job!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ what type of boxes are those? and can we get some info on how they are secured. it's a hell of a clean looking setup. great job!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First Aid kit, mag-lite, fire extinguisher, tow strap, spare d rings,Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010371.jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	373649 aev jack base, jack obviously. Strap down tool box to the mounts where back seat would be. Viair compressor, arb quick deflate for air down.Attachment 309230

Last edited by k0260; 10-02-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepersjeep
Ha! I was looking for a place to smoke late one weekend and drive to the lake by our house. Drove down to the boat ramp and it was standing, with the light on, in the middle of the parking lot. I looked at it for awhile while I smoked. No one was there and no boats in the water. I took it.
Finders keepers I suppose. Do you like it? What's the brand? I will look it up. I can think of a few times I could have benefited from something like that.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Huckleberryjeep
^^^^ what type of boxes are those? and can we get some info on how they are secured. it's a hell of a clean looking setup. great job!!!
Thanks. Those are Rubbermaid 8 gallon storage boxes. I found the support carriers, made by swag offroad at an offroad show last year. They make three styles of holders. An 8 gallon, a 16 gallon and one to hold a small cooler. You can find them on the web.

I fashoned an aluminum base/plate which is held down by the rear seat belt mounting bolts. The box carriers are bolted to this plate as is the floor mount bracket for my power tank. These can all be simply removed if I need to reinstall my rear seat.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Junkie

I forgot to mention what I put all my crap in, I use Hardigg cases, like pelicans but generally bigger and I think better buil, pelican must like them too they bought the company

I like to group my gear into smaller containers or kits, and put those in the bigger case...

I like those metal brackets, I just bungee down my Hardigg cases

All my primary gear fits in one large Hardigg case and my soft clothing kit goes in a backpack bungeed down

Even after hard thrashing the case has always stayed put

Matthew
Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Extremehabit
jeepers, where did you get that spot light? i need one. thanks!
I got a Cyclops spot light off of amazon for about $40. It has 2 modes: spot light, which has 3 very bright LEDs i think which shine pretty far; and the second mode is just 6 little LED bulbs for looking around. The battery lasts for awhile so i just keep it in the back seat. Also not super huge and clunky, it has a nice pistol grip on it and feels pretty nice and durable when you are holding it.

Snapped a few picks in the garage of it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-680961110.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	309330   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1908224072.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	309331   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2086703563.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	309332   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2500061002.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	309333  

Quick Reply: What equipment do you carry, and how?