Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

What equipment do you carry, and how?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking What equipment do you carry, and how?

Let's see some pics and hear suggestions on what should be carried and how you carry it all.
Heres my little gear box. I'm pretty happy with it.
The black bag is full of hand tools, hammer sockets wrenches pliers ect.

So now, let's see yours and hear the suggestions.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Now not everyone at once! LoL
Old 04-19-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont have any gear or equipment but I plan too real soon, I will be carring it in a box kind of like yours. I should have everything to get me out of a oh shit moment. I will be carrying tools, extra parts, a portable welder, motor oil, gear oil, jumper cables, extra food and water, etc.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I carry small tool bags. One has a complete metric and standard set of wrenches and sockets plus some other items. In the second bag I carry jumper cables. On my GEAR tailgate carrier I have a recovery strap in on bag and a tire plug kit and LED flashlight in the other. I also carry a 2.5lb halon extinguisher.

When I run the more difficult trails I also carry my ready welder kit and an an additional parts bag. Under the seat I have a small shovel, blankets and a pack able waterproof jacket.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jeepers, where did you get that spot light? i need one. thanks!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have one yet. I have been thinking of a shallow aluminum box that fills the cargo area that is bolted down and can be locked. Still in the planning stage though.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

I don't have a picture of it, but aside from all my tools I also like to carry a small pelican case with survival type stuff in it. Fire starting stuff, para-cord, orange trash bags (great for poncho or making a signaling flag, etc.) water purification stuff and all that. It's similar to a bug out bag, but more geared toward survival and rescue as opposed to the zombie apocalypse type equipment. You would be surprised how many people that get lost in the wilderness for days or weeks say that they weren't prepared because they were only expecting to be gone a few hours.

But as far as tools go, I love the Craftsman tool sets that are like fold out brief cases. Mine is like 196 piece or something. They are easy to store and stay organized. All other recovery gear tends to get put in random places throughout the JKU. Snatch strap under passenger's seat, shovel on tire carrier, flashlights attached to the inside of the tail gate, etc.

This is an awesome idea for a thread. Can't wait to see pics of all the cool places people put things.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

snatch strap
snatch block
tree strap
winch remote
synthetic rope guard
jumper cables
assorted hand tools
quick air deflator

im sure there are a few other things but i cant really think of it all. i usually throw a few scraps of cut 2x4s or 2x6s in the back just in case, ive seen them come in handy before. i want to get a good first aid kit together, and i need a good storage solution to store it all in the back. right now its just in a big cardboard box. ghetto i know.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a quick question. I've always thrown in a bar of soap because I heard that you can temporarily stop small punctures in the gas tank by rubbing the bar of soap over the hole. I read this in a 4x4 magazine when I was a kid and it stuck with me. Has anyone heard of this or had to try it?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I carry recovery gear, some spare parts, and tools. The left 8-gallon tub carries the recovery gear and spares, while the one on the right carries the tools. The nice thing about this setup, is that it's temporary. If needed, remove a couple of nuts and I can put in the back seat.

Quick Reply: What equipment do you carry, and how?