Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Tire Pressure in Ice?

Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...it's Southern California ice in the mountains. It's not a 24/7 ice storm, but the roads can get a bit sketchy.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mdantonio
Hi! If the ice is expected to be of a continuous nature and not "here and there", why not put the tire chains on? If it's that icy you most likely won't be driving fast anyway. Going may not be your real concern...stopping (possibly to avoid an accident) will! Chains aren't a good idea for general snowy conditions but they simply can not be matched by any tire under worst-case ice conditions. Take care... Mike
So, a standard set of snow tires chains will suffice?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

in a pinch tire chains can be the difference from being stuck or getting going. Nice to have anyways.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi! Sorry I didn't really elaborate on type. I have always carried (seldom needed to use) the welded "V-bar" type chains. They are specifically designed for ice. The design allows for very dependable traction...even in the "side-ways" orientation. Standard chains can act as sled runners on ice if the vehicle starts sliding side-ways. The V-bar stops that. Hope this helps...Mike
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

It really does depend on what kind of ice you are on. If you're on real hard ice all around (think ice skating rink or frozen pond) pressure isn't going to help you (either high pressure or low pressure). But if you're only going to be hitting patches of ice, and for the most part be on a dirt road, I would recommend running lower pressure.

As it turns out, I had to tow a VW camper up a dirt road that was literally covered from snow bank to snow bank with thick ice that you could have ice skated on! First had to get him out of the snow bank - a couple of bumps with the tow strap and he was back on ice. Then I had to get him down the road a little bit where it was a little bit level, then strapped him up again and got him out of there.

It was actually kind of fun - got to use both lockers and the new tow strap! Ended up getting him up the road by getting one side of the jeep in the snow bank and just kept it rolling until we were at the end of the road. I was actually pretty amazed that we were able to do it. I went up the hill a few times just to make sure I could do it without towing some up it. I ended up airing down to about 18 psi because of the snow bank - seemed to work the best. I was running the stock MT tires without any siping – but I’m really considering doing that soon.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Default Air Down Tires to Drive on Ice?

I hear the argument that street tires should be aired up when driving on a road covered with a sheet of ice. I want to dispute this argument.

I have plenty of experience driving on various sheets of ice on roads, both aired down and not aired down. The best traction for braking on a sheet of ice on a road was with my tires aired down. Also, to drive up a hill on the street covered with ice, 4 wheel drive was the only way to maintain some control and continue forward.

Additionally, I have driven on ice with street tires and large mud tires. It would seem that the mud tire lugs would not do as well as the street tires. But surprisingly, the mud tires did better on ice. It could be that the mud tires had a larger contact patch on the ice and achieved more friction.

My experience proves to me that airing down is better. I recommend airing down regardless if you have big tires or small street tires. Everyone says that it is unsafe to drive on the street with your tires aired down. It's true if you plan to drive fast at highway speeds or maintain the speed limit. Common sense should be excersized here. Obviously you should not drive fast when you air down your tires. Driving abruptly and fast on ice is not smart. I air down my tires without hurting my tires or causing the beads to break. If you only air down slightly, the benefits of airing down is not worth it. For my street tires on our SUV, I air down to 15 psi. On my 37" mud tires, I air down to 12 psi. Both sets of tires have survived many seasons of street ice-driving at low pressure. Of course, I only do this when snow and ice are present.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

You replied to a 6 year old thread btw

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure in Ice?