Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Tire Pressure in Ice?

Old 01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure in Ice?

There's a thread about tire pressure in deep snow, but what about ice? The dynamic is a bit different, I would assume.

In deep snow the snow will conform to the tire so you do not want to air down, but what about on ice?

Especially if you have mud tires, do you want to air down to get more surface area?

I have siped mud tires, but this season while going up to the mountains I did notice that these tires struggled a lot more than my stock all terrains to hold traction in icy road conditions.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Junkie

I don't think any tire pressure is good on iced over roads. Remove the tire, drive on the rim??
Old 01-19-2009, 04:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
I don't think any tire pressure is good on iced over roads. Remove the tire, drive on the rim??
ha ha ha, ya seriously hey!
Well Newtybar, to start off this thread that I'm sure will grow as the debate goes on, here goes...My stand, proper inflation, same as you'd run in the summer on the streat. Keep in mind, tire pressure drops as temperatures drops. The theory as I understand is related to pressure per square inch increasing traction (as much as possible anyways)...I personally stand behind this theory, though I'm sure others will disagree stating that flat tires increase traction because it widens the print on the ground, or flat tires mold to the ground...well I don't believe thats the case, not with MT tires at least, the compound MT tires are made of tends to be harder than AT's or true Winter tires, thus turns into a hockey puck in colder weather, not much molding going on...however, I'm just sharing my view and take what you will from it...furthermore, research this on the net and you'll see the experts tend to agree with the proper inflation theory...but what would they know right?

Last edited by BlackNorthernJK; 01-19-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:56 PM
JK Super Freak

I am by no means a tire expert. I inflate my tires according to the Mfg. suggested tire pressure. They do a lot of testing trying to put out the best product they can. Who am I to question it? I do lower the pressure for off roading.

The footprint left by a tire that is over inflated shows more pressure in the middle. The footprint left by a tire that is under inflated shows more pressure on the outer edges (concave in the center of the tread). This tells me that the greatest contact with the ice would be a properly inflated tire so the entire surface of the tread will be in contact with the icy road. This seems to me to be the best situation.

I'm sure there are other opinions out there and if I am wrong I would like to know why. Please educate me if I am doing the wrong thing.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tire pressure on ice doesn't really make any difference.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hig4s
Tire pressure on ice doesn't really make any difference.
...coming from someone that lives in Florida
Old 01-22-2009, 08:48 AM
JK Junkie

I would have to think that you would every last bit of tread touching the ice to get the most traction without having the center lift.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

sunny Florida is under a hard freeze warning
Old 01-22-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkkat
I would have to think that you would every last bit of tread touching the ice to get the most traction without having the center lift.
I agree with this statement. When it comes solely to ice (and not snow) the greate the contact area the more friction is produced and therefore the greater the traction.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
What a dummy!!!! You're supposed to put screws in the tires....duh!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure in Ice?