Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Mud - How to try and keep it off????

Old 06-16-2009, 05:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We don't have a choice here in the NE. Solid rock or mud. Usually both. As for cleaning the radiator and block - correct!!!! parts covered in solid mud will run hotter (ie, tranny, blocks, etc).

As for the radiator, I have to look at the JK, but on my old KJ, it was two 10mm bolts and the entire radiator shroud and fan motor came right out. YOU NEED TO REMOVE IT in order to clean 100% of the radiator's fins. If you spray water through the radiator until it runs clean (don't use too much force or you'll bend the find, a regular garden hose without attachment is fine) that's great. But if the fan shroud is in place, you won't get the corners clean. It'll run fine as long as the temp isn't too hot. But on a 90+ degree day in NYC traffic, that temp gauge will creep up! Not that I know from experience or anything. Basically, if you don't get the mud out from the corners, you're reducing the size of your radiator.

Don't worry, you'll only notice it when you really need it!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldorak
i use Iopne Renovator on my ATV and on my Jeep, non-greasy or oily and the mud just don't stick to this
it's by far the best product i tried to get my ATV clean after a day of mudding

Where'd you find this product? And is it "ipone" or Iopne?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I think I ll go with Pam both for the wheel wells the front end to keep the bug crap from sticking.
As far as cleaning, Ill go the the U Do It place and let themn clean up the mess after cleaning the Jeep.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Downunder we have a lanolin, from wool grease scoured from the fleece, based product Lanotec. It's used as a rust proofer, ideal before wheeling on the beach, would be same for your de-icing salts. It's also used in construction as a form release agent, stops concrete sticking to the formwork, protects powder coated or anodised aluminium window frames from mortar or concrete splashes. We used to use diesel, now I just put that in the JK's tank. Apply with garden hand pump pressure sprayer, no solvent propellant. Wont affect rubber, protects electrics. Similar to veggie oil no petrochemical and doesn't evaporate. You may have a similar lanolin product. I only use it under the bodywork, not on the paintwork as dust sticks to it. Saves time pressure washing cleaup.

Quick Reply: Mud - How to try and keep it off????