Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Lift Kit versus Suspension Kit - Differences?

Old 11-05-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

How much bump stop did you add?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None as of right now. I have a feeling I'm eventually going to swap these springs out for the RK 1.5 or 2.5s and add the bump stumps. Right now I'm still on the stock tires too.

Last edited by Stubicon; 11-06-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Those fox shocks are going to require some extended bump stops because the of the compressed length. Looks to be in the 2.5-3" depending on whoes you use.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Would I be better off running theses sizes of the Fox with 285s?

FOX shocks in question.
Front collapsed: 14.35"
Front extended: 22.95"
Front travel: 8.6"

Rear collapsed: 14.55"
Rear extended: 22.65"
Rear travel: 8.1"
Old 11-06-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

If running the smaller tires you could use the shorter shocks without bump stops but really don't think you are going to notice much of a ride improvement over the factory shocks and will still only have about 2.5"-3" of down travel.
If going with bigger tires you will want to run the longer shocks and some bump stops. Bumps are a necessary part of the suspension set up and don't be concerned about running them. They keep the tires out of the fender and keep the shocks from bottoming out. You just have to make sure they are sized for your shocks and tire size. Flat fenders will give you more room for tire up travel but will do nothing to protect a longer body shock. If you are up in the air on what tire size to run I would hold off on buying shocks.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 11-06-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

IMO the 285s are not worth the money for the small increase over the stock 32s. That's why I've been leaning towards the 315s. Planning on cutting the fenders as well to give them the room needed for up travel. I'll definitely make sure I get the correct bump stops to pair with the shocks when I put everything on.

My plan is to build my suspension over time based on my needs vs buying a "kit" per the advice of you and others. It makes more sense that way for sure. I just want to make sure I'm doing it the right way. Like I said, I'll probably end up swapping either 1.5 or 2.5 springs at some point. I just don't want to have to re-buy shocks and bump stops when I do.

Thank you again for the advice.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know this is niche, but lifts/tires also provide additional water fording. Most jeepers aren't in need or interested in this, but having lived all over, Louisiana gets some crazy fast hard rain as well as other southeastern states. It's nice to roll by others when your in 35-40inches of water. Snorkle is another solution but I have my own thoughts on that approach.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

I'm glad I've read this. I've read the sticky and was leaning heavily toward a BB. I do some mild trails greens and blues and my goal is to add 35's for a little extra clearance. I don't care about extra flex and getting more travel and that kind of stuff. It is a DD and a weekend toy. I was thinking 2.5" BB but also want to level it out. I don't want to get into adding and changing other components so what is the best way to do this. I run rubi take off shocks and tires as of now but will add 35's when due for new tires. I fall in the 99% dirtman speaks of for sure.

Also on that note is there a BB I should avoid due to sagging or inferior product. I was leaning toward teraflex or rubicon express. No shock upgrade just shock spacers/extensions.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2015, 06:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

a BB is just a coil spacer and sagging can not occur with it as it uses the factory coils. You will get what is advertised as well. You will want shock extensions to match the change in height that you choose. Longer sway bar links will be needed at least in the front. You can buy just the spacers from several companies like synergy, daystar, etc. and choose different front and rear sizes to level out. Synergy has a 1.75" front and .75" rear spacer that should level pretty good without too much height. The JKS Acos is a nice coil over lift that is adjustable and will give you the ability to adjust should you need to for added weight or more clearance. Its a very nice product but some may balk at the price. You will need some extended bump stops as well for the 2.5" tires and shock extensions.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
a BB is just a coil spacer and sagging can not occur with it as it uses the factory coils. You will get what is advertised as well. You will want shock extensions to match the change in height that you choose. Longer sway bar links will be needed at least in the front. You can buy just the spacers from several companies like synergy, daystar, etc. and choose different front and rear sizes to level out. Synergy has a 1.75" front and .75" rear spacer that should level pretty good without too much height. The JKS Acos is a nice coil over lift that is adjustable and will give you the ability to adjust should you need to for added weight or more clearance. Its a very nice product but some may balk at the price. You will need some extended bump stops as well for the 2.5" tires and shock extensions.
Thanks dirtman greatly appreciate the feedback!

Quick Reply: Lift Kit versus Suspension Kit - Differences?