Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Lift Kit versus Suspension Kit - Differences?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful when you view vendor sponsored facts... not saying they are skewed, but savvy shoppers might be a bit reluctant to see that info as unbiased.

And... many "user" writeups and opinions are just that. Opinions. Some might be better and less vendor driven than others. I'd spend some time looking at the poster's recommendations over time to get an idea if they are bought and paid for or not. I'd say most of the user content here (and on most websites), when it comes to product, is vendor sponsored/fanboi infatuation, in one way or another. There are a few stand out exceptions.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Be careful when you view vendor sponsored facts... not saying they are skewed, but savvy shoppers might be a bit reluctant to see that info as unbiased. And... many "user" writeups and opinions are just that. Opinions. Some might be better and less vendor driven than others. I'd spend some time looking at the poster's recommendations over time to get an idea if they are bought and paid for or not. I'd say most of the user content here (and on most websites), when it comes to product, is vendor sponsored/fanboi infatuation, in one way or another. There are a few stand out exceptions.
Dude how the hell do I get paid for posting positive comments on manufacturers parts. I keep seeing this comment come up now and then and I want in on that action. Lol. I'm sure it happens also I'm not saying anything against you abendx honestly. Lol.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Dude how the hell do I get paid for posting positive comments on manufacturers parts. I keep seeing this comment come up now and then and I want in on that action. Lol. I'm sure it happens also I'm not saying anything against you abendx honestly. Lol.
The sponsored part happens WAY more than you might think. I've been approached on many occasions. I took someone up on it once and sent them a check and a note to go **** themselves for the item a couple of weeks later, it's pretty shitty to be someone's bitch.

But... more often it is just fanboi love. Many times, the positive poster doesn't even own the product and if they do.... have they contrasted it to other products using the same methodology?

It's normal consumer behavior to defend something one's purchased, whether the defense is valid or not. One wants to feel good about the money they've spent, even if they have to convince themselves and everyone else around them.

Not saying you or anyone in particular is guilty of doing this... but many are. I know I have fallen in that trap before.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ABENDX
The sponsored part happens WAY more than you might think. I've been approached on many occasions. I took someone up on it once and sent them a check and a note to go **** themselves for the item a couple of weeks later, it's pretty shitty to be someone's bitch.

But... more often it is just fanboi love. Many times, the positive poster doesn't even own the product and if they do.... have they contrasted it to other products using the same methodology?

It's normal consumer behavior to defend something one's purchased, whether the defense is valid or not. One wants to feel good about the money they've spent, even if they have to convince themselves and everyone else around them.

Not saying you or anyone in particular is guilty of doing this... but many are. I know I have fallen in that trap before.
I agree. Its nice to see on this site you can have a dissenting opinion of a sponser/vendor now and we are able to speak of non-vendor parts and suppliers. Its gotten a hell of a lot better than it was. Remember when you couldnt type in Synergy or Poly Performance LOL. It doesnt feel like the owners are snake oil salesmen anymore pimpin whoever is giving them the most cash/parts at the moment. It is funny to watch the trends over the years. Full Traction was the shit and then they were shit. Same with teraflex. Now Rock Krawler, Metalcloak, and EVO seem to be the hot banana for bolt on stuff. Rubicon express has always had a bad rep on this forum and I know a couple guys running it with no problems. Man it used to be bad here.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I would agree, RK seems to be on the out with metal cloak being the new "have to have" kit. For some reason teraflex still has a decent following on here.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure I'll look back on this post years from now and laugh at myself but I have to put it out there. With all the fanboi love/hate on a few of the companies mentioned in previous posts, I've got to ask, where does one go to look for decent products? I understand that's a loaded question as there is no perfect setup or product, but as mentioned in previous posts, most of the experienced people on here will say to search and read what others are doing and have success with. However, most of those people have started simple and ended up with custom built suspension setups that probably 90% of people on here either don't need, can't afford, or don't want. Most of the "what lift" threads seem to be people that will drive 90% of the time on the road and the other 10% in probably mild mannered offroad compared to what you guys do.

That being said, if all these companies suck so bad, what should people be looking into? It seems to me that those who are knowledgeable about suspension could add to the stickie, wanna run 33's? here's a solid setup, wanna run 35's? here's a solid setup, wanna run 37's? here's a solid setup. Again, I understand there is no perfect lift, or tire, or "fill in the blank." And I understand there are a lot of variables that go into picking a lift, but it just seems more good would come and the direction of this forum would be much better if those more experience were to answer these threads with advice on which companies and products people should be looking into instead of knocking the only companies that advertise.

Flame away
Old 08-13-2014, 07:38 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Those 90% most likely only need maybe a 2" puck lift, pick your favorite flavor. Most dont need 37" tires either. I garentee you will always find a big rock to get hung up on or a waterfall that is too steep no mater what size tires and lift you have. Its funny how everyone wants to know what the best lift is to run but have know idea about suspensions or geometry. I bet 60% don't know how a sway bar works. They just know they have a jeep and some reason think they have to put a lift on it like it gives their jeep some kind of super ability, which in most cases does not. These things are jeeps and are built to run trails right off the showroom floor. The JK has limitations due to its form and you are not going to get a perfect lift even if going extreme custom. Lift companies do what they can and pick what market they want to cater to, some do better then others and you can pretty much tell who is trying to offer a decent product by the price point of the lift. There is no hate here from me, I just try and point out the truth about the products and cut thru the marketing gimmicks and fanboy praise. If you are happy with your jeep that is really all that is important.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:06 PM
JK Junkie

AEV FTW

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 08-13-2014, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

No flame necessary bud... but I think you're missing the point. Then again, maybe I am as well?

When I hear "best" or the like, I instantly become cynical and I do not care for marketing malarkey when it's regurgitated by unwitting drones, that often have little to no clue as to what they are speaking to.

None of these companies are putting out the "best" of anything... as it is all compromise for packaging and consumer acceptance (e.g. I'd guess weld on is less acceptable than bolt on and cutting of anything is likely a no-no). Some may do better than others, but you gotta cut through the bullshit to figure out what's right for you.

I agree, a BB and 35s is probably best for 99% of JK owners. I wish I'd left mine there and just built a tube buggy... I'd have had a nice mild wheeler and a crazy toy. Now... while I have, what I believe to be, a very nicely setup suspension, as DIRTMAN stated, it doesn't get me up and over every rock out there... nor will your favorite darling brand that was built upon compromise... mine was not (for the most part ) built for compromise and I still get my ass handed to me all the time.

I think, you will not be finding DIRTMAN or anyone else that might be of real assistance to you, recommending a brand. Seems to me that he'd be their bitch at that point and would you really trust him then? I like guys like him to be detached... and just state the facts. I don't always agree with DIRTMAN and the like... but these guys I can always trust to give me their honest opinion... or so I think it is, maybe all these guys are really Mel, WOG, and David all after your business? Did I hear you snicker?? Be careful... it's been pulled off before.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think everyone appreciates the input you all provide on this forum. I know I do. And I do agree , a BB is probably all the majority on here really "need."

The point I am trying to make is, regardless of what anyone on here says, people are going to lift more then they need and they're going to put on bigger tires then they need. That's a fact. That being said, I don't think you're selling out or becoming a companies bitch by saying, "hey, when I ran 35s I ran XXX suspension setup and it worked well for me. Or it didn't. You're simply stating your experience with said setup.

Either way, it seems the "what lift" threads will never stop so if it really is as simple as "pick your favorite flavor," then why not leave it at that? Pick your poison, they'll all accomplish the same thing but caveat emptor.

Quick Reply: Lift Kit versus Suspension Kit - Differences?